Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coax (cable tv) over cat5e?

Tv Controls you's Avatar Resistance is Futile BT Rep: +2
    My current living conditions make it literally hell to run another cable to where I want to place a tv at.

Although I have already went through hell and back bringing an Ethernet cable to this room.
    More specifically its a cat5e direct burial cable that was pretty expensive.

Is there anyway I can run a coax cable through some of my unused pairs in my ethernet cable, just as you could run a phone line along side of internet?

If not what is a good name in wireless coax transmitters or are they even worth my time?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    Get yourself a hub/switch/router and then you can run off that as many as you like.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstate01 View Post
    Get yourself a hub/switch/router and then you can run off that as many as you like.
    ..... Let me illustrate what I am trying to do.

As you can see the unused wires won't even be conected to either my pc or router, but rather to the coax.
    I wan't to know If I can send a coax singnal through the unused pairs in my cat5 cable and how I can connect them or convert them.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 04-28-2010 at 01:40 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Personally I would stay away from the wireless transmitters. Might be me but I've never been happy with any of them. One idea is to use a product like this one but it's not HD in case you have a HDTV.

Another idea is to use something called a balun they have many different types like this cheap one here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Personally I would stay away from the wireless transmitters. Might be me but I've never been happy with any of them. One idea is to use a product like this one but it's not HD in case you have a HDTV.

Another idea is to use something called a balun they have many different types like this cheap one here.

Those would work, but I am trying to still utilize the cable for internet, but at the same time transmit coax cable tv through it.
    Actually I can't see that picture well, but is it only requiring 2 pairs to be plugged in?

In addition It keeps referencing security cameras and scanners... How would this work for tv?
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 04-28-2010 at 01:54 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    It's still a video/audio signal passing through the cable. I don't think that two Ethernet wires would transmit video/audio properly bud. I could be wrong though. Most of the audio AND video ones I'm seeing look to have some minor circutry involved so.

I think Tessco would know more about the actual line voltages/ohms and stuff but you could try it on the cheap by using this type of balun here

Get two of these and connect the two wires to each side and see what happens.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Have you contacted Comcast? If you haven't, I would see if they can figure out a solution.

I came across a powerline converter system (here), but it appears to only do video (and I know nothing about this company, btw). I can't recommend any wireless systems as the ones I have seen tend to be pretty cheesy.

I am definitely interested in seeing your ultimate solution for this.

Good luck!
    Last edited by megabyteme; 04-28-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    It's still a video/audio signal passing through the cable. I don't think that two Ethernet wires would transmit video/audio properly bud. I could be wrong though. Most of the audio AND video ones I'm seeing look to have some minor circutry involved so.

I think Tessco would know more about the actual line voltages/ohms and stuff but you could try it on the cheap by using this type of balun here

Get two of these and connect the two wires to each side and see what happens.
    Yea I don't see how I can lose trying with those, their like 30 cents lol.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    wow thats a diagram for you, I don't think you should use coax for Internet use, or cat5 for TV ,they are made specifically to be tuned for there own purposes, there ohms are totally different, If you used coax, for internet you would suffer with all kinds of crosstalk throughput interferences just to name a few.
    Back in the old days coax was used as in thicknet/thinnet but again they were tuned.
    Maybe you could find some kind of filter rod to sort the interference out like a ferrite rod but hey i don't know,mad idea you got going there.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstate01 View Post
    wow thats a diagram for you, I don't think you should use coax for Internet use, or cat5 for TV ,they are made specifically to be tuned for there own purposes, there ohms are totally different, If you used coax, for internet you would suffer with all kinds of crosstalk throughput interferences just to name a few.
    Back in the old days coax was used as in thicknet/thinnet but again they were tuned.
    Maybe you could find some kind of filter rod to sort the interference out like a ferrite rod but hey i don't know,mad idea you got going there.
    lol, I'm avoiding running a coax cable at all costs lol.
    Also I'm intending to use cat5 for coax, not coax for cat5.

Is their anyway I could stream cable tv over my network, if near my router I had a coax cable and still be able to switch channels from another computer?

*side note* bought two really trashy baluns as I am just interested in testing their performance with cable tv over a cat5 line....
    Megabyteme I'll let you know how it works, and how I eventually get it set up.
    Last edited by Tv Controls you; 04-28-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast