Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Border Patrol Agent has been killed in Arizona.

i will respond to these comments in more detail later, but I am going on another trip over Christmas and New Year's, and so, I'm going to be quite busy packing and getting ready for my trip with my family.

Have a fun Christmas and a Happy New Year everybody!!!
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post

I agree.

If we are unwilling to do the job properly, then we should stop pretending to do the job at all.
    It's all in the definition of "properly" now, isn't it?

I imagine your concept of a properly defended border to be something of a Great Wall of China meets Star Wars, heavy technology type of thing.
    There's a lesson to be learned from the Maginot Line that would be applicable here.

Instead of immediately (and exclusively) unpacking Halliburton's Lego set (and seriously, who else do you think will get the contract?), maybe look back and pinpoint the time when illegal immigration tipped over from a nuisance to a major problem and ask what changed to make it happen.

The problem with Fortress America is that once started, it cannot and will not stop.
    Just like Skynet, the nature of the beast is to incorporate a fierce and ever expanding sense of self-preservation, and to do so early on.

A big reason to leave Iraq/Afghanistan (or wherever) is to decrease the military budget (and start spending it on things to benefit us), not merely transplant the machine to a new locale.
    Al that typing, and no border ideas?

Well, then.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    i will respond to these comments in more detail later, but I am going on another trip over Christmas and New Year's, and so, I'm going to be quite busy packing and getting ready for my trip with my family.

Have a fun Christmas and a Happy New Year everybody!!!
    Have fun, youngster, and think kindly of the poor while you are away - there's a good lad.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Well, then.
    Well, first we could stop conflating border violence from the drug war with illegal immigration.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Well, then.
    Well, first we could stop conflating border violence from the drug war with illegal immigration.
    Yes.

That will surely have an immediate effect on the death toll.

Do you seriously believe the drug lords aren't dangling entry in exchange for mule services?

One gate for illegals carrying drugs, another for everyone else?

What?

This violence, whatever it's genesis, is occurring in close proximity to everything else that is happening down there.

It is unavoidable.

It is, however, less-than-tragic - it is utterly stupid.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    So, your scenario here is the drug agents were firing bean bags at illegal immigrants who were armed by drug lords so they could smuggle in contraband.
    Because women and children are well known for their Sherpa-like capacity for haulage with the bonus feature of excellent/fearless marksmanship.
    These ninja mamacitas then morph into nannies and taco stand owners, thus depriving us of a level playing field, employment-wise.

You do realize that any solution you apply at the current friction spot (Mexican border) had better be hugely scaleable, capable of extending along both coasts and ultimately across the far longer Canadian land border?
    No criminal, faced with a lucrative market, is going to waste much time on a headlong assault at the most highly defended point when there are several thousand miles of completely undefended coastline just waiting to be exploited.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    So, your scenario here is the drug agents were firing bean bags at illegal immigrants who were armed by drug lords so they could smuggle in contraband.
    Because women and children are well known for their Sherpa-like capacity for haulage with the bonus feature of excellent/fearless marksmanship.
    These ninja mamacitas then morph into nannies and taco stand owners, thus depriving us of a level playing field, employment-wise.

You do realize that any solution you apply at the current friction spot (Mexican border) had better be hugely scaleable, capable of extending along both coasts and ultimately across the far longer Canadian land border?
    No criminal, faced with a lucrative market, is going to waste much time on a headlong assault at the most highly defended point when there are several thousand miles of completely undefended coastline just waiting to be exploited.
    So, then-

Pull everybody off the border, and leave it alone, which is what you want - no problem.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    And your proposal is what, again?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    And your proposal is what, again?
    My idea is to totally cave to the liberal imperative by vacating the border and abandoning the very idea of controlling traffic over it in either direction.

Oh, and also to insure those who cross in a northerly direction are furnished with credentials allowing them to vote and perhaps a primer on how avail themselves of every aspect of U.S. entitlement largesse.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    So, you've no ideas at all then.
    I am not surprised.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast