Page 451 of 462 FirstFirst ... 351401441448449450451452453454461 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,510 of 4614

Thread: What is the latest movie you watched and what did you think of it?

Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Rings View Post
    Cloudy with a chance of meatballs... The Princess and The Frog
    Are these ones worth a watch? After watching How to Train Your Dragon, I was thinking alright these new animation movies aren't so bad. Then I watched Tangled and immediately regressed.
    First the easy one out of the way: Princess and the Frog. A heck yes, but I have romanticized everything African American from the 50's/60's personally, from the music, to the clothing, to the cultural presence. To me, for reasons that would go beyond the 20,000 character limit of VB, it is the one era in American history that didn't suck, and it's the one environment other cultures should push towards. From the first number of the musical at an abandoned restaurant, my heart melted and I knew the movie owned me. I'm the last person you should ask about this specific movie, for the aforementioned reasons, but if you like the blues, want to see a talking alligator in a swamp that screams for a hunter with a straw cliche, definitely go for it. But that's not where the movie's brilliance shines for me. The storyline breaks boundaries that I am absolutely crazy about. If you want to see the breaking of mundane cliche of princes going for commoners in illogical ways (Cinderella et al.) among many others, juxtaposed with biblical narrative roman-era themed city invasions, this is the movie to watch.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: Now there's nothing wrong with the movie. It's the oft fantasized world of a geek to invent something to dramatically alter the shape of the world then go on an epic journey to fix the chaos. With bubble gum. But it rains steaks. Not really a bad thing in my books. Anywho, I think where this movie went wrong with me is its adherence to other movies and shows in the exact same space. There is nothing this movie offered that you couldn't get out of a 7 minute episode of a season 0 Jimmy Neutron episode. It didn't deliver originality beyond the premise, and aside from the food being displayed as art in imaginative ways, that's where I drew the line between "Things I paid to see" and "Things I could have seen elsewhere."
    Last edited by Quarterquack; 11-16-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    Ellipses go here.

2. Movies & TV   -   #4502
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Now there's nothing wrong with the movie.
    A movie that inspires that train of thought is one that's best left to encounter by chance.

You've sold me on Princess and the Frog, don't know what specifically called to me, but I knew I'd be watching it in the near future.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 11-16-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: arghhhh
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Movies & TV   -   #4503
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Grabbed Princess and the Frog and the first 3 eps of Deadwood. Will start watching in just a few minutes. Thanks guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4504
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Grabbed Princess and the Frog and the first 3 eps of Deadwood. Will start watching in just a few minutes. Thanks guys!
    See you next week!

5. Movies & TV   -   #4505
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    Were you two also the only older couple there without a child? Everytime me and my girl goes to see one of these movies(which is pretty much whenever one comes out) this is how it is for us.
    Actually, there was something else that stuck out for me.

It was movie night, so naturally we ran into people we know. One specific acquaintance wanted to watch Harold and Kumar and insisted on us watching it with us, so we decided to watch both movies, with Puss in Boots as the follow-up. The H&K theater was packed. I literally had to scout the seats for a good 5 minutes before I found some place for us all to sit.

After it was done we went for PiB, and the theater was empty. It was just us, and another three people who looked like they were about to have a threesome after the show was done. Made me run a sanity check after myself once I was done. It was such a wry attendance that I literally had to bring up the fact that Eric Schmidt was listed as a producer to regain some semblance of sanity in conversation with the would-be-threesome. I've been to off-the-top of my head, Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, Monsters, The Princess and The Frog and that water animation movie last year, but none that had an attendance this low. That's what shocked me.
    A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas

Date
    (click to view chart)
    Rank Weekend
    Gross
    %
    Change
    Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
    #
    Nov 4–6 3 $12,954,142 - 2,875 - $4,506 $12,954,142 1
    Nov 11–13 6 $5,915,143 -54.3% 2,875 - $2,057 $23,237,525 2

Puss in Boots

Date
    (click to view chart)
    Rank Weekend
    Gross
    %
    Change
    Theaters Change / Avg. Gross-to-Date Week
    #
    Oct 28–30 1 $34,077,439 - 3,952 - $8,623 $34,077,439 1
    Nov 4–6 1 $33,054,644 -3.0% 3,963 +11 $8,341 $75,527,682 2
    Nov 11–13 3 $24,726,193 -25.2% 3,903 -60 $6,335 $108,035,359 3

I don't suppose you happened to go at night on a school night or something?

Upgrade it to my highest recommendation. I'll even stop asking Idoleyes to watch Louie to use as credits towards recommending this show to you.
    You actually only asked me once and who says that I haven't?

Anyway Timothy Olyphant is the World's greatest living actor and everything else said in the last two pages that wasn't by either clocker or Funkin' is wank.

And yes I know i didn't include myself in that list.

Also please someone get Darth Pretentious to shut the fuck up.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 11-16-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Respect my lack of authority.

6. Movies & TV   -   #4506
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    everything else said in the last two pages that wasn't by either clocker or Funkin' is wank.
    Everything I post is meant to be wank, so I've failed.
    Thanks for that.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Movies & TV   -   #4507
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    No problem brah.

Btw I watched The Mechanic remake yesterday and after viewing that empty excuse to connect a few ludicrous action scenes together three things sprung to mind
    1. Jason Statham has indeed become a brand.I could summarize most of his movies by simply writing "He looked angry,at some point took off his shirt and against all odds in the end exacts his revenge".
    2.A twist ending is only effective if you don't see it coming from several miles away
    and 3. I never thought I would ever be saying that I miss the artistry of Charles Bronson and Jan-Michael Vincent.
    Respect my lack of authority.

8. Movies & TV   -   #4508
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I think JS is more than a brand, he's an avatar.
    If you're the producer/director/writer, once Statham is cast 50% of your job is done.
    You don't need a backstory or any explanation (beyond the cursory "ex-military" ninja) of your character's behaviour...the audience already knows the Statham character.

For instance, they already know from the Transporter franchise that he can drive, so you need do nothing more than plop him in a car and go!
    We know he can fight because he does in every single movie, and he's very good at it.
    A bit off topic...
    Jason and Clive have two big fight scenes in Killer Elite- they're both cleverly choreographed (especially the second one where JS is restrained to a chair the whole time) and suitably brutal.
    But very long, I thought.
    Seems to me that a professional killer would immediately default to FATAL mode, every blow meant to incapacitate and kill but these two duke it out for (apparently) hours.

In my movie, a duel between pro killers would last maybe 15 seconds...because they're THAT good.
    This also frees up runtime that I'll need to introduce the unicorns in act 3.

I've never really considered Statham an actor- he always seems to just be himself with a slightly different suit of clothes (although even his wardrobes are eerily similar...I wonder if it's his real, everyday stuff?)- so yeah, "brand" or "avatar" is a better description.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Movies & TV   -   #4509
    You actually only asked me once and who says that I haven't?
    I kind of already assumed you watched it, but that you've just refused to comment on how much you loved it. Anyways, it was time to kill the running gag.

Edit: Hipster macky liked Statham before he became an icon/brand/avatar, but hipster macky doesn't like him anymore. Hipster macky already made a similar statement 6 days ago.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 11-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.

10. Movies & TV   -   #4510
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    See you next week!
    When you started making the Shakespeare references, I will admit, I was a bit unsure if I wanted to commit to watching it. However, as promised, I watched eps 1 & 2. No more hesitation. I'm grabbing all of Season 1 today, and plan to be a (more) negligent father (are lunches required by law, or just merely "suggested"?).
    @Idol: So far, I think Ian McShane has the strongest character. Although, I do like Timothy Olyphant in everything I've seen him in.

I'll eventually get to Princess and the Frog, but Rings has never been right about anything he's posted on this site, so I'm certain his movie suggestion will be a complete and utter fail.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.