Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Berg Beheaded In Iraq

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I'll make this easy for certain members:

I'm looking for expressions of outrage at this act that are at least on a par with those having to do with the Iraqi prisoners, for which acts I will express my loathing now (I hadn't previously, for reasons many of you are aware of).

I'm sure it will be argued that this fellow "asked for it" by having the temerity to partake in the rebuilding of Iraqi infrastructure (I say this as that is how he is described in media reports; if he was one of the contract security people, I imagine that would/will be published), and had, unless subsequent reports change, the status of a non-combatant.

I sincerely hope this is not seen as the "tit" to our "tat", but it might be viewed that way by some; I honestly can't say.

Please word any "ifs", "ands", "buts", or any other caveats very carefully.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Post removed by RF:

If you have a political statement, other than a sick joke, then post it in a thread other than one of sympathy.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    For those that dont know...

news24.com

Please do not link the video here.

I know its readily available, we just dont want it.

This guy was killed by Al Queda as "revenge" for the prisoner abuses, he had nothing to do with it himself, nor was guilty of any other crime. He was, apparently, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My sympathies go out to his family, friends and colleagues.

Two wrongs do not make a right, and never will.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    There are no ifs or buts, every life lost in Iraq be it combatant or non-combatant is a tragic waste.

I saw an interesting documentary on BBC3 the other night about Israel/Palestine. It showed the other side - the friendship between the two communities. At the very end two good friends from across the divide said "the two communities will live side by side, that is not the question - it's just how many will have to die before it happens".

I fear we have a way to go in both the Holy Land and Iraq and tears will be shed by many on all sides for some time yet.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Sickening....

There is no justification for brutality from any 'side'

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    This only goes to show, how necessary it was/ is that the the coalition made an end on Hussein's regime and they should be supported at all costs.

My sympathies to the bereaved.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I agree fully and my sympathy goes to the family.

I have often pointed out that acts of resistance such as suicide bombs are an inevitable fact of any invasion/conflict. However this particular act can in no way be considered an act of war. It was plain simple murder.
    Using revenge as an excuse is as wrong as the original act.
    I think we should be proud of the fact that we do express our outrage at wrong acts comitted by our side...it shows we are not savages.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    A very sad situation to say the least. My deepest sympathies to his family.

@Nigel - Be prepared for the flood that is coming

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    This is disgusting and wrong. It is very stupid that lives of innocent people are being ended so mindlessly. So Bush is idiotic? The coalition have no place in Iraq? The western countries are shafting the third world and those worse off? America is after oil? none of these warrant such acts.

As for it being a retaliation for those who have been abused under U.S and U.K imprisonment it is supposedly being delt with and killing people is not an adequate or sound response

Such acts will also lead to further alienation for the moderate Muslims (which by all accounts is most) and increase tensions across the world and play into the hands of far right organisations such as the BNP.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    The idea that this cowardly murder was related to the abuse of Iraqi prisoners is laughable.

These people don't care who they kill. Iraqis, Americans.. as long as the killing has half a chance of inciting an extreme response and destabilising Iraq, anyone will do.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast