Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor George

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    This is an accurate summation of how the Anti-Bushies think:
    The double binds of George W. Bush
    Rich Lowry

July 19, 2004
    Sometimes a political figure becomes so hated that he can't do anything right in the eyes of his enemies. President Bush has achieved this rare and exalted status. His critics are so blinded by animus that the internal consistency of their attacks on him no longer matters. For them, Bush is the double-bind president.

If he stumbles over his words, he is an embarrassing idiot. If he manages to cut taxes or wage a war against Saddam Hussein with bipartisan support, he is a manipulative genius.

If he hasn't been able to capture Osama bin Laden, he is endangering U.S. security. If he catches bin Laden, it is only a ploy to influence the elections.

If he ignores U.N. resolutions, he is a dangerous unilateralist. If he takes U.N. resolutions on Iraq seriously, he is a dangerous unilateralist. If he doesn't get France to agree to his Iraq policy, he is ignoring important international actors. If he supports multiparty talks on North Korea, he is not doing enough to ignore important international actors.

If he bombed Iraq, he should have bombed Saudi Arabia instead, and if he had bombed Saudi Arabia, he should have bombed Iran, and if he had bombed all three, he shouldn't have bombed anyone at all. If he imposes a U.S. occupation on Iraq, he is fomenting Iraqi resistance by making the United States seem an imperial power. If he ends the U.S. occupation, he is cutting and running.

If he warns of a terror attack, he is playing alarmist politics. If he doesn't warn of a terror attack, he is dangerously asleep at the switch. If he says we're safer, he's lying, and if he doesn't say we're safer, he's implicitly admitting that he has failed in his core duty as commander in chief.

If he adopts a doctrine of pre-emption, he is unacceptably remaking American national-security policy. If the United States suffers a terror attack on his watch, he should have pre-empted it. If he signs a far-reaching anti-terror law, he is abridging civil liberties. If the United States suffers another terror attack on his watch, he should have had a more vigorous anti-terror law.

Bush's economy hasn't created new jobs. If it has created new jobs, they aren't well-paying jobs. If they are well-paying jobs, there is still income inequality in America.

If Bush opposes a prescription-drug benefit for the elderly, he's miserly. If he supports a prescription-drug benefit for the elderly, he's lining the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies. If he restrains government spending, he's heartless. If he supports government spending, he's bankrupting the nation and robbing from future generations.

If he opposes campaign-finance reform, he's a tool of corporate interests. If he signs campaign-finance reform, he's abridging the First Amendment rights of Michael Moore (whose ads for "Fahrenheit 9/11" might run afoul of the law).

If he accuses John Kerry of flip-flopping, he is merely highlighting one of the Massachusetts senator's strengths -- his nuance and thoughtfulness. If he flip-flops on nation-building or testifying before the 9/11 commission, he proves his own ill-intentions, cluelessness, or both.

If he doesn't admit a mistake, he is bullheaded and detached from reality. If he admits a mistake, he is damning his own governance in shocking fashion.

If he sticks with Dick Cheney, he is saddling himself with an unpopular vice president, giving Democrats who can't wait to run against Cheney a political advantage. If he drops Cheney, he is admitting that the Democratic attacks against his vice president have hit home, thus giving Democrats who have made those charges a political advantage.

If he loses in November, the voice of the American people has spoken a devastating verdict on his presidency. If he wins, he stole the election.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    So, you wish us to agree with the Guy that suggested that we should "Nuke Mecca" in March 2002?

Hardly a guy with a Middle ofthe Road outlook, even in the USA

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@29 July 2004 - 15:13
    So, you wish us to agree with the Guy that suggested that we should "Nuke Mecca" in March 2002?

Hardly a guy with a Middle ofthe Road outlook, even in the USA 
    Reagan, as I recall, made a sincere suggestion that we outlaw the USSR and bomb it into submission; sadly, he didn't follow through.

C'mon, Rat-you can do better than that...

BTW-

Remember-you don't know where the middle of our road is.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I suspect Mr Lowry has simply noted that age old truth that the opposition in politics cannot be seen to agree with the other side.

In the UK the Conservatives, in an attempt to both maintain their pro US stance and stand out from Labour stated that Blair was not supporting Bush enough and that they would bomb more people faster and more efficiently. Which is basically akin to agreeing with current policy whilst appearing to be an alternative. (This has of course come back to haunt them in the recent double by-election where they came a poor third in both cases).

He didn't really suggest we bomb Mecca in anything other than a satirical stand up comedy sort of way did he?

On the subject of the extremist right - would it be fair to say that once they reach a certain point they cease to be Republican and become something other - (like the gun-toting survivalists of Montana). In much the same way that the far right in the UK leave the Conservatives and join the BNP.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Originally posted by Biggles@29 July 2004 - 16:20
    I suspect Mr Lowry has simply noted that age old truth that the opposition in politics cannot be seen to agree with the other side.

He didn't really suggest we bomb Mecca in anything other than a satirical stand up comedy sort of way did he?

I think you're right, Biggles; the one true fact is that none of us has ever won a single convert, though we continue to labor in vain, our arguments never produce any winners.

There are (occasionally) losers, though.

As to your last, I suggest you ask Rat; I've frankly never given it the least thought, except to note the comment was worth the giggle it was intended to elicit.

One can always count on someone to "bite".

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Everyone thought he was being satirical Biggles until a TV interview when asked outright..

His reply:

Lots of sentiment for nuking Mecca. Moderates opt for something more along these lines: “Baghdad and Tehran would be the likeliest sites for a first strike. If we have clean enough bombs to assure a pinpoint damage area, Gaza City and Ramallah would also be on list. Damascus, Cairo, Algiers, Tripoli and Riyadh should be put on alert that any signs of support for the attacks in their cities will bring immediate annihilation.”
    He made it quite plain he was serious and thought Rod Dreher was being too soft when he said:

if an American city is nuked by terrorists, we have no choice but to respond in kind -- or we invite more of the same. But any response is fraught with crippling complications. I'd say Baghdad, Tehran and Riyadh should make the list, tout ensemble, and maybe even Damascus. As for Mecca, well, it would feel good, but we'd have every Muslim on the planet enraged unto ages of ages, and Rome would be the next target on the terrorist nuke list (ironically, Jerusalem probably has the best chance of surviving because it is sacred to all three monotheistic faiths). 
    Rod Dreher was proposing Nuking most of the Middle East if terrorists ever got hold of a Tactical Nuclear Weapon... as if killing untold millions of innocents would balance the books for millions of innocents in a Terrorist attack...

Mr Lowry was of the opinion that we should Nuke Mecca now, and not wait for this event to possibly happen at some point in the future.

And people wonder why the world is starting to distrust the USA, when these people are the ones influencing public opinion...

Give me Whoopie Goldberg any day

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by j2k4@29 July 2004 - 13:58
    No...it isn't.
    <span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Resistence is futile.</span></span></span>

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by Sprocket+29 July 2004 - 17:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sprocket @ 29 July 2004 - 17:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@29 July 2004 - 13:58
    No...it isn&#39;t. [/b][/quote]
    Yes...it is.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    I&#39;ll agree with sprocket.

Im as anti-Bush as you can get, and i certainly dont think this way.

For example:

If he was man enough to even admit that he made a mistake on the WMD issue and apologise to the families of the dead, then i would accept that as a positive.

Just like i did with Blaire when he did it.

Cant stand Blaire... but i have to respect someone standing up and saying "I was wrong, sorry"

He wont though.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    I have to say, a lot of that sums up the way most people around where I live think. How do I know "most" think that way? Like I said in another thread, I sell them their newspapers and magazines.

People really think that voting out Bush will make the world great. They hem and haw about the Patriot Act, they all have their Beat Bush Again buttons on the whole nines.

When confronted with the logic of "Is Bush stupid or genius" they rely on the "Well he is run by Rumsfeld/Cheney&#33;"

I think maybe a lot of liberals in my country are having a hard time with things, and they all seem united, like now they have a CAUSE (and when is the last time the far left in the US really had a cause?).

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast