Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Accepts EU Decision

Quote Originally Posted by Skillian
    Buy software so someone else gets a chance at making money?
    so they will have to pay more money?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    long live the k-lite codec pack

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Ultimately this is bad for the consumer.
    How?
    Monopoly is bad for the consumer, this simply enforces a level playing field and consequently promotes competition.

The main benefit is not the fact that XP will be offered without WMP (I doubt whether there will be a cost saving and it has always been available as a free download). The good point is that hidden API's (which give advantage due to more direct interface with the OS) will be available, allowing others to develop better solutions. The result could be much smoother video and audio reproduction, and surely that's good for everyone (except perhaps Microsoft).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    How?
    Monopoly is bad for the consumer, this simply enforces a level playing field and consequently promotes competition.

The main benefit is not the fact that XP will be offered without WMP (I doubt whether there will be a cost saving and it has always been available as a free download). The good point is that hidden API's (which give advantage due to more direct interface with the OS) will be available, allowing others to develop better solutions. The result could be much smoother video and audio reproduction, and surely that's good for everyone (except perhaps Microsoft).
    Well, the API's being is a good thing of course.

Unbundling WMP is bad. I got a free media player before. In the future I have to buy one. How is that good for me?

The US government told consumers that basically Microsoft was kicking us in the ass. It looked like other businesses were complaining not the consumer.

The way some governments and businesses would have it, MS would only be able to offer a core OS with no extras.

There are so many extras offered by competitors that it's ridiculous. After I buy the OS and then the extras, which I got free before, I'm left with a hole in my pocket.

Nice work.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggyjuarez
    Question:what if people in that country dont have the internet,how will they play their music?
    perhaps on their cd player.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    perhaps on their cd player.
    No one likes a know it all

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    why the feck they want wmp to be removed from Xp?
    why E Feckin U wont leave MS Alone

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Well, the API's being is a good thing of course.

Unbundling WMP is bad. I got a free media player before. In the future I have to buy one. How is that good for me?

The US government told consumers that basically Microsoft was kicking us in the ass. It looked like other businesses were complaining not the consumer.

The way some governments and businesses would have it, MS would only be able to offer a core OS with no extras.

There are so many extras offered by competitors that it's ridiculous. After I buy the OS and then the extras, which I got free before, I'm left with a hole in my pocket.

Nice work.
    Busy, you can download WMP for free

The point is that you choose which media player you want. There are many free ones that are better, vlc for example.

This is a huge step forward and a kick in the nuts for MS's monopolisation tendencies. The consumer isn't losing out in the slightest.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    everyone quotes monopoly when referring to MS, but simply having a player built in doesnt mean you cant use something else. I do use WMP, cuz it works perfectly for playing vids. I use Musicmatch for music. People like to talk about other players being better than WMP. How much better can a player possibly be if they all play your vids? I tried quite a few in following the trends, and WMP plays just as well as all that i have tried.Granted, some folks may use thier players for some more advanced things, but I know Im not running a video editing studio. I think people just like to give MS a hard time, people love to take shots at the person standing on top of the hill. Game of smear the queer anyone?
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 01-25-2005 at 06:49 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Busy, you can download WMP for free

The point is that you choose which media player you want. There are many free ones that are better, vlc for example.

This is a huge step forward and a kick in the nuts for MS's monopolisation tendencies. The consumer isn't losing out in the slightest.
    Yup and you could still another media player without the unbundling.

If what you say is true and good for the consumer then there should be no bundling of any extras whatsoever.

I smell bullshit and now it's coming from the EU.

No one has yet said how it benefits the consumer. I'm just hearing what the EU says echoed by you all.

Explain it to me in layman's terms.

I do agree with MS disclosing the APIs though.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast