Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: why not death penalty?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

I think the death penalty should find application here
    (this is strictly as an example of my own reasoning) due to the above-noted lack of a "rationale" for the Olympic bombing;
    see...

that wasn't so hard to say

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #72
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Is the wrath of God a deterrent?

If so or if not, give me a measurement supporting it.
    I really have no intention of answering that irrelevance, certainly not in this thread.

If as j2 states this is a purely secular matter in your country then of what possible significance can the "wrath of God" be.

j2,

There are no purely secular matters in the UK, as we join Church and State.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #73
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I really have no intention of answering that irrelevance, certainly not in this thread.

If as j2 states this is a purely secular matter in your country then of what possible significance can the "wrath of God" be.
    Simple yes or no answer. That is all.

Since I know you are not that dense then you know what the significance is but choose not to answer. Maybe it's that common sense thing that I've heard you say doesn't exist.

I won't revisit this since it is plainly obvious you have been cornered on what is a deterrent.

Either you haven't a clue what a deterrent is or you are sticking to your guns and feigning ignorance.

Either way it's bull

Last edited by Busyman; 04-12-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #74
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Simple yes or no answer. That is all.

Since I know you are not that dense then you know what the significance is but choose not to answer. Maybe it's that common sense thing that I've heard you say doesn't exist.

I won't revisit this since it is plainly obvious you have been cornered on what is a deterrent.

Either you haven't a clue what a deterrent is or you are sticking to your guns and feigning ignorance.

Either way it's bull

What is the significance of your question then? Maybe I'm too dense but it just looks to me like Busyman is badgering the witness with a useless question...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #75
    No,

Genuinely don't see the significance.

The death penalty relates to anyone within the country which has it. Anything relating to God would only be relevant to those who believe that God exists. Even then it would only relate to anyone who believes God has a certain nature.

I am not "cornered", your question is simply irrelevant.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #76
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The wrath of God is not a deterrent to murder. But the promise of the wrath of God is.

IMO if you compared 1 million god fearing, religious people with 1 million non-religious people(Excluding fanatics from both sides) I think the murder rate would be higher in the secular million.

I think this would be extremely difficult to prove or disprove.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #77
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    No,

Genuinely don't see the significance.

The death penalty relates to anyone within the country which has it. Anything relating to God would only be relevant to those who believe that God exists. Even then it would only relate to anyone who believes God has a certain nature.

I am not "cornered", your question is simply irrelevant.
    I at least thank you for answering.

Now the reason I asked....

Anything is a deterrent if the threat of punishment makes one not commit the crime.

The wrath of God, or threat of hell is a deterrent for some and so is the death penalty. It can be argued that simple imprisonment is a deterrent but even in that it affects psyche of different people differently as does the fear of God.

Your point was that it was institutionalized murder which is a good point. However, you made reference to it's deterrence which kinda throws the irrelevancy bit out da window.

Wait....you didn't answer...
    Last edited by Busyman; 04-12-2005 at 02:12 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #78
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420
    What is the significance of your question then? Maybe I'm too dense but it just looks to me like Busyman is badgering the witness with a useless question...
    Whts teh sgnificance fo yrsou?

Shit you aren't even the person that was being asked?

Bandwagoning...

Seems like you are dense.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #79
    Your point was that it was institutionalized murder which is a good point. However, you made reference to it's deterrence which kinda throws the irrelevancy bit out da window.
    My point is that I do not think it is a deterrent, however even if it were it would not change my position that it (the death penalty) is wrong.

It (deterrence) is therefore irrelevant when formulating a decision on whether the death penalty should exist. As the answer to the question (re any detterrent effect) has no bearing on the decision making process.

I think that is clear enough.

The bottom line, as anyone can see, is that it is society's revenge on the offender. It is pandering to the masses and the state demonstrating that it is "tough on crime".

My country, I am glad to say does not do this.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #80
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab

IMO if you compared 1 million god fearing, religious people with 1 million non-religious people(Excluding fanatics from both sides) I think the murder rate would be higher in the secular million.
    What would you define as murder? Because i'm sure that many have been killed in the name of religion. Would you classify acts of killing during "religious wars" as murders? the man in this thread (remember him?) committed his crimes against places that didn't side with his religious views.

So as you said about proof or disproof....

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast