Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Rarred or Unrarred?

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    thats your oppinion and i dont agree with it at all.

like i have said previously, Bittorrent Error Checking is good, but its not 100% good, until it gets to 100% good, the rars will stay.

And i never said we pretend to be part of the scene, but personally i think we should keep scene releases as is.

Not unrar them and then not give credit at all to the scene, or even worse, unrar, rerar and password protect the things.

and i do not understand why you have to keep both rars and unrared on your PC.

Unrar it, watch it, burn it, whatever then delete the unrared, while keeping the rared portion of it, its not hard.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to direct anything at you personally if that's what you thought, it's just my views and other trackers' views. There isn't really a right or wrong way to do things, it's just two different ways of going about it, and both ways work.

they didn't built Rome in one day

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    GOIN' MACH 5!!
    the rars of scene rls aren't compressed (to whoever wrote that, did you even look at the filesizes?), and rars aren't used 'to take advantage of the bittorrent protocol'. lol

i prefer unrarred for time and space reasons.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    Soo much misinformation. Really, half the people responding seems to be guessing or have incorrect ideas.

*** From whyrar.omfg.se (Which are the main advantages of original-releases?) ***

1. Because the releases consists of small parts you don't have to worry about re-downloading the whole release if something goes wrong and a file gets corrupted.

Not relevant. Bittorrent has built in error correction unlike the stone age ftp protocol.

2. You can control that everything has been downloaded correctly by checking against the SFV-file. Hence you will always know whether you've gotten a complete uncorrupt release of what you were downloading.

This means that you will have the exact same files on your computer, when you've downloaded and extracted the release, as the person who first ripped the movie and created the release. This instead of downloading an extracted version of the file which perhaps has been transfered a couple of hundred times from one person to another and where there is an overwhelming risk of transfer errors. This doesn't mean that the file won't work, but it can lead to colourdeviations or so called freeze-frames.

Not relevant. Same reason as above. A torrent actually contains all the functionality of an sfv file. Also generally misleading argument as you could just as easily generate an sfv file from unrared files.

3. You can download from multiple sources at the same time - ensuring comformt and maximizing your download speed.

Bittorrent can do this without having to split up files. Actually, a good ftp/http client could do it also. (although error correction wouldn't work in that case.

*** end whyrar text ***

To summarize, rars are used because of the inferior ftp/http protocols that really should have been replaced by something better a long time ago.

I actually neglected one argument which is that split rar files can be used to distribute files on free web accounts with limited account space. This was a very common practice in the old days. Also, when burning to cd/dvd, this same fact can be exploited.

Rar files (except when used for real compression or grouping together bigger collections of small files such an image collection) have a big disadvantages

You have to unrar them to use the content, thereby either doubling disk space requirements or having the user delete the original rars. This is hugely annoying for most end users and evidenced by many observations will drastically reduce the amount of long term seeders, because most people prefer to keep things in a usable format.

Finally some quoting

Quote Originally Posted by stupidcrab
    That's why compression method are always needed.
    It saves the bandwidth(even sometimes rared content have similar size even bigger)

I love rared content , it saves my hd space and I can download more. That's the reason
    Correct, and this is good for some compressable application ISOs. However, this is not applicable for most scene releases that are just stored, not compressed.

Also when using rar for compression together with bittorrent, a single rar file should be created, and not lots of small split files.

also, when you download a rared content and somehow it gets damaged, you only need to redownload the damaged ones.otherwise, you would have to download the whole thing from the beginning.
    Not applicable for bittorrent

It's the scene standard.. meaning this is the way its been done for a while.. the reasoning behind it, is to take full advantage of the bittorrent protocols. if you understand bittorrent at all, it simultaneously takes and transfers pieces of the torrent at once... by doing this it allows for a faster transfer of many files versus a transfer of a single file. and thats what sabre was talking about when he says faster speeds, pre-times and what knot
    Except for it being the scene standard, everything else you said was incorrect. You obviously don't understand the bittorrent protocol.

The bittorrent protocol does everything you said without having to deal with the primitive way of splitting it up into rar files and using sfv/crc to check for errors.

rar can be easily part seed~~
    So can any file. Just stop downloading an unfinished file and you can keep seeding the parts of it you did download. You can also seed a partially downloaded file from one site on another site.

Only thing you can't do is download a rar file from usenet and part seed it on a torrent site that uses unrared files.

it was a home made rip, The uploader who ripped it, unrared it fine, Everyone that snatched it could not unrar ir at all, part 23 was fecked, he unrared it again and it still worked.

so he reuploaded it, and they got it to work.

and if you are getting lots of CRC errors in rars, its not the uploaders fault, its bad ram.
    This is impossible as in the universe will end before it happens impossible.

Unless of course the uploader was stupid enough to upload files via the old crappy ftp protocol (which doesn't support error correction) to a seedbox. On that seedbox he then created the torrent file using some command line tool and seeded the thing.

An error with ftp, not with bittorrent. That is the only way the scenario you described makes any sense at all.

Also, the easy way to avoid the scenario above if you still for some reason have to first ftp to the seed box is simple. Just create the torrent locally, then ftp it and the file(s) to the seed box. Finally, connect the seed box and your own local computer to the same torrent and any errors that happened during the ftp transfer will be automatically fixed.

Easiest would of course be to simply avoid using ftp for data transfer and instead just use it to upload the torrent file, and use bittorrent for the actual data transfer.

I like rarred content I like to archive movies, games, etc... and if a piece of one archived rls is corrupted, then i need to dl only the corrupted rar file, not the whole avi file.
    Can just as easily be done with avi and bittorrent. Just connect the corrupted file to a correct bittorrent copy and the protocol will automatically correct the incorrect parts.

Of course, maybe finding rar files is easier depending on your connections, but that is a question of availability, not protocol.

like i have said previously, Bittorrent Error Checking is good, but its not 100% good, until it gets to 100% good, the rars will stay.
    Bittorrent error checking is 100%. Ok, not 100%, just the earth will be swallowed up by the sun before there is an error safe. (also, making an exception for possible intentional interfering, which may be possible if someone have access to the NSA computer farm and mathematicians)

the rars of scene rls aren't compressed (to whoever wrote that, did you even look at the filesizes?), and rars aren't used 'to take advantage of the bittorrent protocol'. lol

Yup. Sceners should just distribute directly via bittorrent to avoid all the hell with crc errors that using the ancient ftp protocol causes. Hehe, like that would happen.

Finally, if I seemed to be a little unfair towards the ftp protocol, I should just feel that I have similar feelings towards the http protocol. Not having built in error correction is simply unacceptable for a modern protocol that is used to transfer files.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildclaw View Post
    Soo much misinformation. Really, half the people responding seems to be guessing or have incorrect ideas.

*** From whyrar.omfg.se (Which are the main advantages of original-releases?) ***

1. Because the releases consists of small parts you don't have to worry about re-downloading the whole release if something goes wrong and a file gets corrupted.

Not relevant. Bittorrent has built in error correction unlike the stone age ftp protocol.

2. You can control that everything has been downloaded correctly by checking against the SFV-file. Hence you will always know whether you've gotten a complete uncorrupt release of what you were downloading.

This means that you will have the exact same files on your computer, when you've downloaded and extracted the release, as the person who first ripped the movie and created the release. This instead of downloading an extracted version of the file which perhaps has been transfered a couple of hundred times from one person to another and where there is an overwhelming risk of transfer errors. This doesn't mean that the file won't work, but it can lead to colourdeviations or so called freeze-frames.

Not relevant. Same reason as above. A torrent actually contains all the functionality of an sfv file. Also generally misleading argument as you could just as easily generate an sfv file from unrared files.

3. You can download from multiple sources at the same time - ensuring comformt and maximizing your download speed.

Bittorrent can do this without having to split up files. Actually, a good ftp/http client could do it also. (although error correction wouldn't work in that case.

*** end whyrar text ***

To summarize, rars are used because of the inferior ftp/http protocols that really should have been replaced by something better a long time ago.

I actually neglected one argument which is that split rar files can be used to distribute files on free web accounts with limited account space. This was a very common practice in the old days. Also, when burning to cd/dvd, this same fact can be exploited.

Rar files (except when used for real compression or grouping together bigger collections of small files such an image collection) have a big disadvantages

You have to unrar them to use the content, thereby either doubling disk space requirements or having the user delete the original rars. This is hugely annoying for most end users and evidenced by many observations will drastically reduce the amount of long term seeders, because most people prefer to keep things in a usable format.

Finally some quoting

Correct, and this is good for some compressable application ISOs. However, this is not applicable for most scene releases that are just stored, not compressed.

Also when using rar for compression together with bittorrent, a single rar file should be created, and not lots of small split files.

also, when you download a rared content and somehow it gets damaged, you only need to redownload the damaged ones.otherwise, you would have to download the whole thing from the beginning.
    Not applicable for bittorrent

It's the scene standard.. meaning this is the way its been done for a while.. the reasoning behind it, is to take full advantage of the bittorrent protocols. if you understand bittorrent at all, it simultaneously takes and transfers pieces of the torrent at once... by doing this it allows for a faster transfer of many files versus a transfer of a single file. and thats what sabre was talking about when he says faster speeds, pre-times and what knot
    Except for it being the scene standard, everything else you said was incorrect. You obviously don't understand the bittorrent protocol.

The bittorrent protocol does everything you said without having to deal with the primitive way of splitting it up into rar files and using sfv/crc to check for errors.

rar can be easily part seed~~
    So can any file. Just stop downloading an unfinished file and you can keep seeding the parts of it you did download. You can also seed a partially downloaded file from one site on another site.

Only thing you can't do is download a rar file from usenet and part seed it on a torrent site that uses unrared files.

it was a home made rip, The uploader who ripped it, unrared it fine, Everyone that snatched it could not unrar ir at all, part 23 was fecked, he unrared it again and it still worked.

so he reuploaded it, and they got it to work.

and if you are getting lots of CRC errors in rars, its not the uploaders fault, its bad ram.
    This is impossible as in the universe will end before it happens impossible.

Unless of course the uploader was stupid enough to upload files via the old crappy ftp protocol (which doesn't support error correction) to a seedbox. On that seedbox he then created the torrent file using some command line tool and seeded the thing.

An error with ftp, not with bittorrent. That is the only way the scenario you described makes any sense at all.

Also, the easy way to avoid the scenario above if you still for some reason have to first ftp to the seed box is simple. Just create the torrent locally, then ftp it and the file(s) to the seed box. Finally, connect the seed box and your own local computer to the same torrent and any errors that happened during the ftp transfer will be automatically fixed.

Easiest would of course be to simply avoid using ftp for data transfer and instead just use it to upload the torrent file, and use bittorrent for the actual data transfer.

I like rarred content I like to archive movies, games, etc... and if a piece of one archived rls is corrupted, then i need to dl only the corrupted rar file, not the whole avi file.
    Can just as easily be done with avi and bittorrent. Just connect the corrupted file to a correct bittorrent copy and the protocol will automatically correct the incorrect parts.

Of course, maybe finding rar files is easier depending on your connections, but that is a question of availability, not protocol.

Bittorrent error checking is 100%. Ok, not 100%, just the earth will be swallowed up by the sun before there is an error safe. (also, making an exception for possible intentional interfering, which may be possible if someone have access to the NSA computer farm and mathematicians)

Yup. Sceners should just distribute directly via bittorrent to avoid all the hell with crc errors that using the ancient ftp protocol causes. Hehe, like that would happen.

Finally, if I seemed to be a little unfair towards the ftp protocol, I should just feel that I have similar feelings towards the http protocol. Not having built in error correction is simply unacceptable for a modern protocol that is used to transfer files.
    Couldn't have said it better myself A great sum-up of the situation.

Though I disagree, sceners should stick with FTP. Hashing a torrent is time consuming, so FTP just works for them. But us torrenters could really do without all those rars...

And just to clear anything up, no scene release uses compressed rars, as compressing rars are against scene rules. They're just stored.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    i stream what I download from bt. i have my client set to auto prioritize the .r00 through .r04 files. i don't extract. I watch / use the content directly inside of the rar files. The BT protocol isn't setup for streaming and without some plugin I don't know about downloading 1 file means I have to wait for it to finish before I can watch / play / use it. With rar I have to wait for .r00 to finish and as long as I am downloading quicker than the rate of data the comp needs I can stream everything.

aka raring rlses makes it so I can use what I'm downloading a lot quicker. I can click on a 4 gig dvd, wait 30 seconds, then start watching it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    i stream what I download from bt. i have my client set to auto prioritize the .r00 through .r04 files. i don't extract. I watch / use the content directly inside of the rar files. The BT protocol isn't setup for streaming and without some plugin I don't know about downloading 1 file means I have to wait for it to finish before I can watch / play / use it. With rar I have to wait for .r00 to finish and as long as I am downloading quicker than the rate of data the comp needs I can stream everything.

aka raring rlses makes it so I can use what I'm downloading a lot quicker. I can click on a 4 gig dvd, wait 30 seconds, then start watching it.
    I guess that works for movies. There's lots of other media out there, though

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    it works for almost everything for me. i guess my net is fast enough were even installing from a game ISO it works fine *shrugs*

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    If we all were so lucky!
    [[envy]]

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    hey, i uncapped my modem myself. no need for envy. figure it out and do it yourself.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast