Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you bigoted?

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by (>Zero Cool<)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Sadly I think a lot of white people are thretened when they are younger. If you dont behave the big black man will come and get you'. I dont know if the reverse happens in the coloured communities.

I also think if that most people are wary of anyone different from them in any way shape or form. Its nature. I dont think any of this makes you bigoted however.

I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions.

Personally I support both black and white.
    I reckon I haven't explained myself very well , srry, what i am getting at is all sorts of things not just racial. Religion, sexual preference, nationality, colour of skin etc etc.
    I'll excuse you this time. Maybe your asteroids are playing up. You can get cream for them.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by (>Zero Cool<)

I reckon I haven't explained myself very well , srry, what i am getting at is all sorts of things not just racial. Religion, sexual preference, nationality, colour of skin etc etc.
    I'll excuse you this time. Maybe your asteroids are playing up. You can get cream for them.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Xenophobia is a perfectly natural thing.

You are only an arse if you act upon it, ie if you discriminate or otherwise treat people badly because of their gender, the colour of their skin or something else that really doesn't tell you who they are.

Anyone who calls you a bigot, racist, or whatever, purely because you initially think of/react to others in a certain way can go f*** themselves. Some things that we find alien/different/odd will inevitably be percieved as scary, there's a reason for that.

Xenophobia is just one aspect of our survival instinct, it's just like whatever psychological mechanism we have that keeps us from trying to pick up snakes or to pet tigers, for instance.

You can't trust everyone and all that. And the more different from you they are, the harder they are to read, and the more careful you'll be. It's instinct, and sometimes very useful. Our psyches just work this way, partly it's a remnant of how we were in harsher times, but it's still useful, as all of us can't be trusted.

They say that when infants (and possibly adults as well) smell something (truly) unfamiliar, it'll automatically smell bad, this is just an aspect of the same thing.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-14-2005 at 02:08 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Xenophobia is a perfectly natural thing.

You are only an arse if you act upon it, ie if you discriminate or otherwise treat people badly because of their gender, the colour of their skin or something else that really doesn't tell you who they are.

Anyone who calls you a bigot, racist, or whatever, purely because you initially think of/react to others in a certain way can go f*** themselves. Some things that we find alien/different/odd will inevitably be percieved as scary, there's a reason for that.

Xenophobia is just one aspect of our survival instinct, it's just like whatever psychological mechanism we have that keeps us from trying to pick up snakes or to pet tigers, for instance.

You can't trust everyone and all that. And the more different from you they are, the harder they are to read, and the more careful you'll be. It's instinct, and sometimes very useful. Our psyches just work this way, partly it's a remnant of how we were in harsher times, but it's still useful, as all of us can't be trusted.

They say that when infants (and possibly adults as well) smell something (truly) unfamiliar, it'll automatically smell bad, this is just an aspect of the same thing.
    I would read your reply but your avatar just f*cked up my vision

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I make a prejudment about certain people until they prove me wrong.

Usually they don't. However, I treat everyone the same.

I could never say anything bad about certain upstanding folk.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Lounge   -   #17
    HCT's Avatar WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    im a big victim of prejudice, while im in school i hate when people call me mexican just cause im hispanic or when they ask you if you speak mexican, man it irritates me when they do that. personally im not prejudice, back in my country my best friend is black and he is like a brother to me

8. Lounge   -   #18
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    well, do you speak mexican?

9. Lounge   -   #19
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    I think that in the area we come from bigotry has been created by separate schools for different religions.
    :
    Trite and predictable. You may use the argument that it has helped to keep sectarianism alive, but to say that it created bigotry is nonsense.

There are denominational schools in loads of places, are they all like the West of Scotland, not that I am aware of.

What about things like the Orange Order, who march thro' Glasgow to revel in their anti-catholicism, are they better than seperate schools, do they foster bigotry less. I think not.

If someone proposed to do a similar thing with anti-practically anything else sentiment then it would be banned.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I freaking hate n00bs!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast