Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: I would like to argue something pretty important to me.

JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    I must say the last time I was in Scotland (last November), I was amazed at not getting scanned at the entrance to a mall in Glasgow (it felt pretty weird.. )...
    Where the feck is a "mall" in Glasgow.

We will not live in fear.

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    All hand luggage is checked by metal detectors and x-ray machines when flying anywhere from Britain.

Whatcha talking about.
    I was taling about simple little places such as cafe's and little fish n' chip shops... that's where most blasts would take place. Or on a bus...

Nowadays in Israel you have a security person on buses when approaching stations to go through the bus a inspect people. Most of the Arab-Israelis get stared at mostly, and I must say that I think the feeling must be horrible if you're a simple person going to work, but hey, it's for our safety.

Another thing people don't know - On most El-Al flights (Israels airline), there is a security person with a gun in civilian clothing... And I feel totally comfortable with it, as I know I am safe from people wanting to attack Jews/Christians or any other people.

And in response to the person who wrote that attacks prior to 9/11 were not Muslim attacks: Yes, you are right, but in modern times in the 21st century attackers are all Muslim, and the Muslims them selves do not do anything to condemn the terrorists acts, and I think they should do something about it...
    Well I think we just revealed why many tourists don't visit Israel.

I would personally feel less safe being "policed" by armed forces and having to submit to violations of personal freedoms than I do in the trusting society I live in.

Here's a thought... and it's just me mulling things around in my head so I don't really have any proof to back it up other than my own logic.

Is it possible that by creating a police state, and forcing people to live in fear, and others to live under oppression, scorn and disdain, that you actually escalate terror attacks? I would be interested to know if attacks happen more frequently in so called "secure" societies, or in ones where freedom is more important.

By the way, you have insulted all Muslims. They HAVE condemned the terrorist attacks, and are no more responsible for the extremists who perpetrated them than you are. They share a faith, and I say that loosely.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    And last i heard, Basques weren't Muslims, neither were P9 or the Orange County Skinheads.. they're white supremisists

And theres always the arguement that Israel itself, together with most coalition forces have all comitted "Terrorist" acts.

Just because the perpetrator is in uniform doesnt change the crime.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    You can't measure safety in security guards.

The fact that they are there indicates that shit has a tendency to happen.

'sides, I reckon that if some loon with a bomb doesn't get me, some Israeli nutjob soldier with rubber bullets will.

And there's really nothing to see there for me I can't find elsewhere ('cept maybe for that weird dana-bloke that won the eurovision song contest, those don't grow on trees), what with me not being a person of faith and all.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibonbon

Last time I was in DC, went to a Safeway, and what do I see? About 10 security guards.

I am rather sure they weren't there due to terrorists.

It was in a predominatly non-white we will call it area.
    You are lying. There aren't 10 security guards at the front of any government building and I've been to every single Safeway in DC.
    Well, just returned home to see this. Busy, nowhere did I mention security guards in front of government buildings. Not once. Keep your words out of my mouth.

I will admit, I did the common exageration thing on the number of guards (more like 6 or 7), and nowhere did I imply it was due to terroist threats.

The "demographic" I was speaking of was younger black teens/twenties folks.

You may have been to every single Safeway in DC, so what? It is not that uncommon for places like this to hire off duty police officers to walk around stores and keep an eye out for shoplifters. Go to NYC, Dallas, LA, it's a common practice.

In ending, you are not Bush, please don't try to control what I see.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Nowadays in Israel you have a security person on buses when approaching stations to go through the bus a inspect people. Most of the Arab-Israelis get stared at mostly, and I must say that I think the feeling must be horrible if you're a simple person going to work, but hey, it's for our safety.
    Wow...

I live in Germany and regularly go in an out of American posts, often on buses. The only time you have people searching you on a bus is when the alert is high (like the few months right after 9/11). Only when they feel we are under a direct threat.

Even though they changed alerts in the US we have not experienced any changes.

When I visited Egypt a few years back I experienced the kind of security you are talking about... There were almost as many armed police/security around as civilians. That scared me more then all the things I had heard before going (generaly things like fair hair/fair skinned people and children getting kidnapped as I had my young childrenwith me).

I could not imagine living in those conditions or paying to go and vacation in them again.

TD
    Last edited by tracydani; 07-09-2005 at 07:40 AM.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    The image of the country would stop me coming. If you're asked to name an area in the world where your most likley to die not from natural causes im sure alot of people would say the middle eastern area, just because of how the media has reported on the area and such.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I'd go to Israel anyday, in fact I plan on doing so (Jerusalem) after I graduate from High School, always wanted to go to a place of history, even if it was mostly violent (and yes I'm taking into account the Crusades as well).

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I must say the last time I was in Scotland (last November), I was amazed at not getting scanned at the entrance to a mall in Glasgow (it felt pretty weird.. )...
    Where the feck is a "mall" in Glasgow.

We will not live in fear.

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.
    Please to be keeping youself up to date. The Argyle Arcade is now The Argyle Arcade Shopping Mall. Does not tell you that you need a fortune to buy anything in there though.
    Last edited by bigboab; 07-09-2005 at 08:32 AM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    I'd go to Israel anyday, in fact I plan on doing so (Jerusalem) after I graduate from High School, always wanted to go to a place of history, even if it was mostly violent (and yes I'm taking into account the Crusades as well).

Would you be taking your guns along and in the hope of making peace in the middle east with them

Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast