Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast

Thread: I would like to argue something pretty important to me.

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    The image of the country would stop me coming. If you're asked to name an area in the world where your most likley to die not from natural causes im sure alot of people would say the middle eastern area, just because of how the media has reported on the area and such.
    Every person who says that is absolutely totally wrong.

In the US how many people are fired every year?! Kids shoot each other at school over the stupidest things!! People in the US with no permit have guns, the mobs are on the streets, and you're telling me you're more likely to die in the safe environment of Israel..??? How can you say such a thing!?!

@Nikki & JPaul: The guards are not there to make people scared.. Why do you think they have them? To keep the civilians SAFE, not SCARED. In fact I feel a hell of a lot safer in a place like Israel rather than a big outlet in the US with no security guards stopping suspicious people from entering the big shops, who might just be the next to blow the place to the ground.
    Same with London, or any other big place in the world nowadays. No one is safe without the right safety precautions. If there are no guards, then yes you may feel more "free" as you put it. But in todays world you are not safe. Just image, god forbid, you walking down the street and walk into a book store. The place is packed because the new Harry Potter book has just been released. There are no security guards checking peoples bags at the entrance. A person walks in with a bag that you would think is a regular handbag.

10 minutes later: 30 dead, hundreds wounded.

That's what security guards PREVENT. They make sure things like that do not happen. If the civilians will cooperate with security, I can promise you it will be so much harder for these mad terrorists to do anything, that the chances will get as low as 0%, rather than 50-50 with no guards.

I'm not saying put up 2341235908 guards at each store, but I think a guard for a store is plenty to make the society a safer place. 2-3 guards in big-big stores (like WHSmith and places like that). Life would go on exactly as it does today, but the big difference would be that we would all be much much safer. Less unemplyment, and the war on terror would be easier (because if an attack takes place, the world stops, and that gives time for these animals to find their next target).

Think about it........

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Anyone who finishes a post with "Think about it..." is a condescending idiot.

People are saying that they don't want to live like you do. They would rather have the tiny element of risk than have their liberties so eroded. If your country feels that the risk is so high then lots of people won't want to visit, because you are declaring it as very dangerous.

If as you say the risk is no higher than elsewhere, then get the armed guards off the streets. You don't need them. If you choose to keep them, cool it's your choice, but expect it to have the effect it does.

Think about that.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    In fact I feel a hell of a lot safer in a place like Israel rather than a big outlet in the US with no security guards stopping suspicious people from entering the big shops, who might just be the next to blow the place to the ground. Same with London, or any other big place in the world nowadays. No one is safe without the right safety precautions. If there are no guards, then yes you may feel more "free" as you put it. But in todays world you are not safe. Just image, god forbid, you walking down the street and walk into a book store. The place is packed because the new Harry Potter book has just been released. There are no security guards checking peoples bags at the entrance. A person walks in with a bag that you would think is a regular handbag. 10 minutes later: 30 dead, hundreds wounded.
    The thing is, this is not a normal occurance in these places. We all know it is possible, however at this time we do not need to live in constant fear of it happening and do not need to take such drastic steps to prevent it.

We can only hope things do not reach the level they have where you are that we need to take those steps.

Yes it is true that the violence in the states due to crime is higher then most other places, but the average person does not need to worry about being a victim each and every day of their lives.

The sort of violence you are protecting yourself from with all these gaurds is not "normal" in my view. In general, people do not go out and randomly kill to support their cause in the states.

TD
    Last edited by tracydani; 07-09-2005 at 10:38 AM.
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Now, following the terrorist attack on London, my home city, I would like to ask ya'll: Why are you worried to come to Israel?
    What's so different here than anywhere else in the world? 9/11, Baali bombings, Madrid, London...... nowhere is safe nowadays, so why not come and visit Israel?
    Because Rafi.........personally, I would'nt go to london, nor new york nor any major city, for 2 reasons
    1: I don't like cities
    2: no major city is safe atm

But I think the main reason for most is because 9/11 and london have happend once, Isreal has buildings/busses etc exploding quite frequently.

As for the guards and religion, if I start on that I'll piss you all off cos I think the whole situation and belief (meaning all religions) is bollocks, period.

Jonno

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Israel? It's just not on my list of places to visit because there's nothin there im interested in. And thats before thinkin about security issues.

I'd like to check more Europen countrys,
    even Russia is a bit more interesting than Israel imo.
    Spoiler: Show

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    , if I start on that I'll piss you all off cos I think the whole situation and belief (meaning all religions) is bollocks, period.

Jonno
    Any right thinking person would say "Cool, you're as entitled to your belief system as I am".

I will support yor right to be wrong any day of the week.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Well exactly, cos it IS my opinion, and the funny thing I find about it all is that someone can preach about they're religion, but a man can't give a view against it without being wrong.
    Religion makes me angry in any form pretty much, therefore I've given up arguing about it even tho I have kinda here so I'm gonna be quiet now.

Having said that, it is each to their own.......my opinion is just my own.

It's a funny ol' world init

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 07-09-2005 at 11:05 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    The image of the country would stop me coming. If you're asked to name an area in the world where your most likley to die not from natural causes im sure alot of people would say the middle eastern area, just because of how the media has reported on the area and such.
    Every person who says that is absolutely totally wrong.

Yup, we are wrong i agree, but it's how the media shows the country, which puts people off.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Well exactly, cos it IS my opinion, and the funny thing I find about it all is that someone can preach about they're religion, but a man can't give a view against it without being wrong.

Jonno
    But you also think they are wrong, it cuts both ways.

I think everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. They are, from my point of view. They equally think I am wrong, because I disagree with them.

The funny thing is that often we are both right, from our own perspective. That's why it's important to try to see things from the other persons point of view.

Even when they are obviously wrong.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    @JPaul: The risk here is no higher than elsewhere BECAUSE of the security. If the security was taken off the streets, then Israel would become a place much more vulnerable than others. But that's not the case, as Israel has had too much experience in attacks, and that's why we are so good at preventing them.......

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23456781555 ... LastLast