Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: why not switch to usenet?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by bilkenter View Post
    I tried using usenet, and it SUCKS. I havent even used my all download quota. Maybe i am noob, yet i didnt like it at all.Better use rapidshare, at least you have a way of checking whether the games actually work or not. Beside BT, Rapidshare is the best.
    It doesn't "suck"; you may be too dim to comprehend the basic concepts, but it most certainly does not suck. It isn't like Bittorrent where you can learn everything you need to know in an hour and you're off and running. It does take some work and it does take longer to learn and experience everything there is to know, but it's well worth it.

Usenet was around way before private BT trackers. It predates them by some twenty years and releases of apps, TV programs, and the latest films traditionally go to Usenet first. It's always been that way. Usenet and its numerous groups, has many, many more uploaders than any private torrent site.

Now I'm not saying that some BT trackers don't have uploaders that cap TV shows or crack programs and release them exclusively to the site but Usenet is the place for getting releases first. You have to know the right groups, of course, but once you've got your favorite groups entrenched in your newsreader of choice, you'll find everything you need and will be able to download it sooner and faster than if you relied on your private tracker.

Using Giganews and Alt.Binz I have 365+ days of content to download* at max speeds which downloads, fixes, and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin can provide me with approximately 120,000 posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is maybe 10,000. Usenet search engines reveal literally hundreds of thousands of files available.

** That's new and old content. At max speed. All the time. With no need to upload.

There really is no comparison.

The existence of so many users shilling out much more cash than a news server would cost, for seedboxes is just plain foolish and a waste of money. I'll never understand it.
    Last edited by Skizo; 04-22-2009 at 06:59 PM.

yo

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    lol @ someone saying rapidshare is better than usenet

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by bilkenter View Post
    I tried using usenet, and it SUCKS. I havent even used my all download quota. Maybe i am noob, yet i didnt like it at all.
    You obviously didn't understand the concept at all if you think it sucks.

I'm getting 90% of my junk on usenet now and it quite easy to find what you are looking for. Sites like nzbmatrix, merlin portal and binsearch are all you need. There are plenty of nzb files available here also.

I even often find old releases on usenet and I'm getting it in one hour instead of 2 days with 1 slow seeder on bt sites. That's a major pro.

Finally, it's more affordable that ever. I'm paying a small 11$ a month for Astraweb.
    Last edited by KFlint; 04-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Squizzle's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"")
    I have a GigaNews subscription and use it regularly, I've leeched TBs from their service. (Older, hard to find DVDRs or Wii / 360 games, hell even all the SunFly shit via United Forums.)

However, for instant and reliable access to warez, i still turn to FTPs and sites like ScT and SCC for my shit.

Usenet imo is something people would do well to add to their downloading inventories rather than depend on altogether. Despite the awesome speed and content on offer, usenet remains a public service, and comes with all the usual risks and bullshit that public networks carry with them.

Need the latest shit? Torrents / FTP.
    Need anything else? Check out the Newsgroups.

Just my 5 cents.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Never tought about this usenet before. But maybe in the near future I will at least use warez forums

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    BANNED BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I used usenext for usenet services, i heard that giganews was a good one yet never tried it because my first experience with usenet sucked. As i said, i didnt use any index site at all, i will give it another shot at least to giganews, then i will see whether it is worth or not. Thanks for the info though. Anyway i downloaded three files from usenext, 2 games and one documentary about hitler. None of them actually worked. There was problem with both games, and There was an extraction problem regarding documentary. Therefore i didnt like it and never used the 9 gb quota of mine there. Anyway i will give giganews a shot and see what happens. Thank you all.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    You sometimes have to repair rars on older newsgroup releases, that's probably the reason. If you have the par files and enough data blocks, an app like quick par will repair it in a couple minutes. I rarely have to.

And you should consider Astraweb instead of Giganews, they have the same retention and it's like 10$ cheaper a month.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    OP is probably right but i doubt usenet could replace a tracker like Karagarga.
    ok, i know usenet is full of classics and 'old films' but i don't think you can find as much rarities (experimental, independant productions, rare vhsrips) as on KG.

anyway, it's certainly the best alternative.
    Last edited by cinephilia; 04-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    I dont know i just think its a a matter of time before the authorities come after usenet. Also it does not sit right with me the fact u have to pay for a service to get illegal stuff, means someone is profiting from this which makes it even more dodgy for me.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Should the situation with BT continue to worsen, I will move to usenet.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast