Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Community - The Truth

SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Nobody asks about me when I'm gone a few days
    Most of us say thank fuck actually.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Nobody asks about me when I'm gone a few days
    Most of us say thank fuck actually.
    LOL!

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by krunktastic View Post
    <snipped>
    But hey, that's just me.
    -KT
    Good for you, but thankfully we are not all the same and we all have differing views and a lot of us get to know staff and posters, and have a laugh along the way, it's surprising where where we also happen to bump into one another along the journey.

One man's wine is another man's vinegar, and each to their own, and as long as you find what you want from a tracker, then leave others to also find what they want, be that community or content.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    <snipped>
    But hey, that's just me.
    -KT
    Good for you, but thankfully we are not all the same and we all have differing views and a lot of us get to know staff and posters, and have a laugh along the way, it's surprising where where we also happen to bump into one another along the journey.

One man's wine is another man's vinegar, and each to their own, and as long as you find what you want from a tracker, then leave others to also find what they want, be that community or content.
    Definitely agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by LordS View Post
    I find the forums on all those level 10 sites great, It's more a family than some randoms.

If you were to go offline for a few days, people would notice and ask how you've been etc.
    Agree very much. Thos are the best communities that i have been honored to join.
    Last edited by grimms; 01-20-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    I have to agree with Sear's post and will take it further, alot of members have learned to parrot the word community, without really understanding what it means or really caring. If you are active in the community on a tracker , you post in the forums are active on irc, upload if you can post torrent comments site suggestions etc, and generally be a part of the tracker.
    There are many collectors out there who say they want to be a part of a 'community' but have a list of userbars or favicons in their signature, this immediately makes me suspicious, these are simply a perceived status symbol.
    Secondly if you truly are a community person you would contribute to trackers/forums that aren't even listed or have a level rating, some of these trackers have the high rating because they are a closed community, by that I mean a small group that knows each other, this is not to everyones taste, but because of the rarity factor it is chased and then you have the collectors (and I have seen a long list of these) who once they achieve the perceived pinnacle of rarity then go but the tracker sucks or there are only a few people here or the speeds arent the same, well duuuuhhhh, if you wanted the leetest fastest latest greatest stick to the uber fast 0day sites, these sites offer something different, user content a request and offer system etc so that sharing is more in the spirit of the community.
    I have enjoyed many posts by collectors and traders in the past who were sadly disappointed by getting to that L10 tracker and finding that it wasn't what they had hyped it up to be and without the true sense of community they are sadly disappointed by their acquisition.
    A quick review of anyones post history here gives you a good idea of whether they are a community person or a collector it even shows you the percentage of posts in which section you are most active in so sometimes you don't even need to review the post history.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Without community tracker site won't be exist. + my sig
    HT

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrcer View Post
    Without community tracker site won't be exist. + my sig
    Loving the sig, but "Community is The Truth".

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    <snipped>
    But hey, that's just me.
    -KT

Thank you for a beautiful counter-post (?) to mine. I totally see where you're coming from.

As far as that goes, each person is going to find certain things that they like at every tracker. I was primarily addressing, though, the members who claim that they want that tracker solely for the presence of the community, which is usually a ploy just to get that "status symbol" tracker.

Personally, on the tracker I moderate on, most would say the community sucks; but we've been able to really work together (the staff) to try and help develop the IRC into something bigger than it's ever been. Since we've implemented some new ideas, we have increased our userbase and grown together as a community through this.

So I can totally see how some people would even perceive the worst communities to be exciting and fun, as this is all based on perception. But I don't think it should be used as an excuse. Keep the posts coming.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Vidde's Avatar Wubalicious <3 BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by LordS View Post
    I find the forums on all those level 10 sites great, It's more a family than some randoms.

If you were to go offline for a few days, people would notice and ask how you've been etc.
    And that is exactly the main problem

If you're a "random" in there (which we -all- have been one time), you're not too welcome.. I want to join a community when they don't look at nicks and for how many weeks you've been a member..

There are some great communities out there, but unfortunately there are too many "who the fuck are you to talk?"-communities to "noobs"..

-Vidde =)

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    ceasar's Avatar Slava R0b0taM! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I have found the forums and people to be cold and alienating.
    No need to walk that far. Here, on FST, when someone creates the thread about smth. he needs, more or less badly, you can predict "usual suspects" to appear there, not to help, but to:

1) spam, earn more posts, stars, whatsoever
    2) brag of their anti-smth balls
    3) tell him, that he doesn't deserve that tracker
    4) tell him that he's doing the wrong thing, and tell him what to do with account/invite (this ones usually being surprised a lot when told to fcuk off)
    5) request the same thing and hijack the thread
    6) wish a good luck/you deserve it, sometimes = 1)
    7) you name it

So, total number of useful posts less usually less than 20% and cold and alienating attitudes prevails.
    TCS Byatch in training

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast