Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Newsgroups vs high level trackers

I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Newsgroups are mainly for file downloading.

Private trackers are mainly for file-trading.

It has both pros and cons, but for me the actual leeched files are somewhat
    secondary compared to the spirit of file-trading - it's a personal question too.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DefX View Post

It means you two are telling me facts I already know and cherish in NGs. It means he's preaching to the wrong person. That's what I fucking mean.

Skizo was obviously using sarcasm in his original reply and I merely seconded it.
    You're obviously confusing it with barking up the wrong tree. That's what I fucking meant. Your English sucks. I followed the sarcasm theme and then posted some information for the filesharing community to revel in.

See, we're not telling you. At least I wasn't, I used a post separator because I felt that a thread about the differences between NGs and BT should contain info for people to make their minds up which method to choose.

Rather than mods taking the pish out of members.
    That sort of stuff is better left in the lounge, n'est pas?
    Silly me. I committed a typo on a commonly used idiom. Forgive me manker for making your ears cringe every time I commit a sacrilege upon your beautiful language.

My take on this matter is that the more people that are turned off from NG's, the less heat it will garner from the authorities. That's why I said what I said. Though I still consider myself a NG noob so I don't know how valid that argument is.
    "However awkwardly they might navigate the outside world, over the board they were killers." - NYT

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by DasFox View Post
    What is usenet axx?
    Usenet access

Like you have a usually paid account to enter the world of usenet.. and leech off high-speed servers..

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnentier View Post
    What is usenet axx?
    Usenet access

Like you have a usually paid account to enter the world of usenet.. and leech off high-speed servers..
    i dont think dasfox is actually asking a question, he's merely trying to prove a fact that usenet is not a community b/c people do have to buy axx to be able to download so essentially using usenet is more like paying a private gym membership as oppose to working out at local ymca, but in response to his argument.....

You dont necessarily have to pay for premium usenet account in order to be able to join the actual the communities that are available on usenet, your isp actually already included that axx "free of charge" along w/ the service that you've subscribed to. however, if you planning to use that communities for a different intention, let say as a mean to acquire shit that u want, you have to cough up some more bucks for a premium acc that will let u do that. in regards to torrents, the same thing would probably be called seedboxes or servers - come on torrent folks do not say you bought axx to vectoral just for the sake of it, i know you guys did that so you could move up within the ladde-

now, in regards to stitched made,if he actually stating what his belief- and not trying to be sarcastic at all- it is quite interesting to actually see the numbers of torrent users who are actually seeding the file because he wanted to maintain their communities as opposed to just seeding file to maintain his ratio so that he wont be kicked out of those high level trackers, or actually be able to enter one, b/c if they actually seed based on intention no 1, surely there will be lot more files that are circulating w/in torrent community

WHAT DO YOU THINK DASFOX??
    Last edited by bungeemirth; 02-29-2008 at 01:47 AM.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Well I got my seedbox initially for the sake of it, to improve infrastructure.

But now that I have it, it's true I also use it a lot to get up the ladder, to improve ratios and such.
    But that's also because those noobs are usually so unthankfull and don't even leave a line after getting 100Mbit stream.
    They usually don't even seed back properly, so if you meant the seedbox should help low-level torrenting, this is like giving away money for free :/

But no I think you meant more that we should help the variety of files within the private trackers. Well, seeding back is always easier than adding content on your own, which is still much easier than ripping yourself. I always try to help file availability, but older files are usually so unasked that the motivation sinks rapidly. Somehow torrents can also be compared to redirected, buffered broadcasting. Imagine there is a ball-lightning rushing, and you ricochet it over there, then here again, right through the torrent scene.. and after some time the lightning has vanished and so has the shining where it passed.

I'm not sure if this is the topic you meant by more files should circulate?
    Last edited by Sonnentier; 02-29-2008 at 02:41 AM.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Ahh axx an abbreviation, hehe, ok.

Well I'm a old Usenet geek, and one of the simplest ways to look for what you want is like a NZB search engine like Newzbin. Before Newzbin was around I use to subscribe to groups and download headers and dig this way.

We all know how you look for torrents on a private tracker now right? hehe

The thing is, what I meant by Pros and Cons are, you're not always going to find what you are looking for on Usenet or a Tracker.

On Usenet if it's not there you are going to have to subscribe to one of the groups and make a request, and typically if you are dealing with something fairly new and popular, someone will fill that request.

Now on the community side of things if you subscribe to Newsgroups and look around in them for the things you want this way you can get to know others there, because I have seen the same people year after year uploading to the groups and people make post replies back and forth to one another, similar to like being on a forum making posts, so there can be a bit of community going on in a newsgroup, it just depends on that group is all.

I have RoadRunner as my ISP and I get great download speeds and so for free it's awesome, but granted if I were to pay, and I use to have an account with Newshosting.com then I get faster speeds, but if you have a good ISP, then you can get good speeds then.

So if your ISP gives you good Usenet axx for free and you're on some torrent trackers then you've got a good mix of both worlds.

PEACE

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Ahh axx an abbreviation, hehe, ok.

Well I'm a old Usenet geek, and one of the simplest ways to look for what you want is like a NZB search engine like Newzbin. Before Newzbin was around I use to subscribe to groups and download headers and dig this way.

We all know how you look for torrents on a private tracker now right? hehe

The thing is, what I meant by Pros and Cons are, you're not always going to find what you are looking for on Usenet or a Tracker.

On Usenet if it's not there you are going to have to subscribe to one of the groups and make a request, and typically if you are dealing with something fairly new and popular, someone will fill that request.

Now on the community side of things if you subscribe to Newsgroups and look around in them for the things you want this way you can get to know others there, because I have seen the same people year after year uploading to the groups and people make post replies back and forth to one another, similar to like being on a forum making posts, so there can be a bit of community going on in a newsgroup, it just depends on that group is all.

I have RoadRunner as my ISP and I get great download speeds and so for free it's awesome, but granted if I were to pay, and I use to have an account with Newshosting.com then I get faster speeds, but if you have a good ISP, then you can get good speeds then.

So if your ISP gives you good Usenet axx for free and you're on some torrent trackers then you've got a good mix of both worlds.

PEACE
    I always forget about my ISP access to newsgroups. I get like 1-2GB per month, not much, but its something at least... I pay for usenet access for unlimited though through another provider. I like using both torrent sites and newsgroups, both have unique content IMO, although a lot of the content can be found on both, or requested on both. The thing I like about torrents is the content specific sites, you get older, more rare content on these trackers (non scene stuff too), and a lot of it would be hard to come by elsewhere.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    For those of you saying usenet has no community, have you ever connected to EFNet? lol

There are huge usenet channels on irc, where people talk to each other, fill/request stuff etc... Seriously though, where else would the community be? usenet hasn't got its own forum or anything. Oh and I think that most of the people posting here saying torrents are better, have never even tried usenet... So unless you have tried it, don't bother posting. If you have tried usenet and still prefer bittorrent, thats your opinion

I myself prefer usenet/newsgroups, i think they are much better than bittorrent.

Bittorrent:
    Alot of fake torrents (unless on private tracker)
    Private trackers often hard to get into
    Must seed back what you download
    Most people can't keep a decent ratio, meaning they need to pay lots of money for a seedbox
    Content on private trackers is often very limited, scene releases only
    Speeds on public trackers are usually crap
    Unless it is very popular, a torrent will die out fairly quickly.
    Swarm can get stuck and no one finishes downloading
    Shows your IP to everyone on the torrent, RIAA or anyone can easily see your leeching/seeding
    Trackers tend to die alot or are just generally overloaded
    Easier than UseNet
    May have some stuff unavailable anywhere else
    Stuff you might not be able to find anywhere else (sometimes get very rare stuff)
    Encryption available

UseNet/NewsGroups:
    Not as much fake posts
    No need to keep a ratio, leech as much as your package allows (most have unlimited)
    Depending on your usenet server, you can reach speeds of over 100Mbit constantly
    Retention is high enough, 100-120 days on most servers, 200 on GigaNews
    Gets new stuff fairly fast, though will take a while to be indexed by SuperSearch and NZB Sites
    Alot of home rips, not just scene releases
    Posts you might not be able to find anywhere else (sometimes get very rare stuff posted)
    Secure, you download from one server so your IP is hidden
    Encryption Available
    Most likely will cost money for access to a decent server

Last edited by torrentguy; 02-29-2008 at 09:26 PM.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post
    I myself prefer usenet/newsgroups, i think they are much better than bittorrent.
    Says torrentguy

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I don't know how people can preffer torrents expecpt if they can't afford usenet. Like torrentguy said. No ratio to worry about, no slow connections. All downloads have the same speed. You must have premium access obviously. up to 200 days of retention and even then many things are reposted before that. Huge amounts of requests are filled daily. Usenet is more secure. You'll find so much more content.

I have tried both and ATM I only use torrents for things I can't find on usenet. Yeah community would be found on IRC channels and there are also some forums out there for usenet discussion. Like Skizo says though. "I'm not looking for a community" I just want to pirate stuff so I care about content and speed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast