Page 17 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202767 ... LastLast

Thread: Critically Evaluate the last movie you saw.

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Carnage (2011)

Polanski film, length just short of a full feature, absolutely worth a viewing. Scene of one kid hitting another kid with a stick. Next scene are both sets of parents attempting a reconciliation of the matter alone in the "victim's" house without the children present, final scene of kids playing in the park. I'm not necessarily a fan of cringe moments, but once in awhile it's done in such a manner where it really pays off, and this movie has several. You've got a WASPy cast of 4 escalating their differences of opinion into drunken ramblings, meanwhile alliances breaking down and reforming pretty much to the point where each stands on their own. It's pretty much one setting, almost cut short several times but blocked by snide remarks and proud retort.

How to classify this. It's a comedy. Yeah, I can say that, a serious comedy. Just watch it, it's fantastic. It has a potpourrie of African child murderers, art decor, pharmaceutical corruption, ridicule of murses, and the difference between cake and pie. Jodie Foster (Taxi Driver), Kate Winslet (Extras), John C. Reilly (Gangs of New York), Christopher Waltz (Inglorious Basterds), all do a phenomenal job with each of their roles. Just watch it when you get the chance, that's all.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Movies & TV   -   #162
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I don't think the two movies are that comparable Alien being for all the distractions a much more straight forward "monster movie" , Pandorum requiring more from the audience as the real scary stuff coming after the twist finding form more the psychological horror aspects.
    Actually I think Pandorum matches up better with Super Nova a movie that frankly scared/disturbed the fuck out of me. It like Pandorum tanked at the box office btw.
    I'd still call it a descendant of Alien, but other things I reckon must be huge influences are Event Horizon and the Descent, but at some point there's just too much common DNA to say for sure.

I'd say that Event Horizon, Supernova and Sunshine all lie pretty close to Pandorum, but between them all, I do prefer Pandorum.

Basically it's all your basical badly lit spaceship movie...and oh, what's that creature lurking in the corner?

Pandorum remains my favourite take on it, tho.

3. Movies & TV   -   #163
    brightsid's Avatar Larisssssssaaaaaaa BT Rep: +4
    me <3333 Harmonica
    Last edited by brightsid; 03-31-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    We make a living by what we get,
    we make a life by what we give

4. Movies & TV   -   #164
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    I don't think the two movies are that comparable Alien being for all the distractions a much more straight forward "monster movie" , Pandorum requiring more from the audience as the real scary stuff coming after the twist finding form more the psychological horror aspects.
    Actually I think Pandorum matches up better with Super Nova a movie that frankly scared/disturbed the fuck out of me. It like Pandorum tanked at the box office btw.
    I'd still call it a descendant of Alien, but other things I reckon must be huge influences are Event Horizon and the Descent, but at some point there's just too much common DNA to say for sure.

I'd say that Event Horizon, Supernova and Sunshine all lie pretty close to Pandorum, but between them all, I do prefer Pandorum.

Basically it's all your basical badly lit spaceship movie...and oh, what's that creature lurking in the corner?

Pandorum remains my favourite take on it, tho.
    For me the most haunting take on the alien theme would have to be Event Horizon, I genuinely enjoyed Pandorum yes, but Event Horizon like the original Alien is a very visceral film, you are genuinely going omg and even on rewatching the movie(s) the raw power is still there. I also like how the madness slowly unfolds and envelops everyone in Event Horizon, they don't just die, they get to go insane first (lucky them).

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

5. Movies & TV   -   #165
    Quarterquack's Avatar sprclfrglstcxpldcs BT Rep: +3
    Pandorum was awful.

On a scale of a story that could have developed with the setting being my backyard, and a story that could develop by throwing in deep space themes, post-apocalyptic survival tactics, on a futuristic high-tech spaceship, with aliens involved, the development hit pretty close to home with the former setting.
    Ellipses go here.

6. Movies & TV   -   #166
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    For me the most haunting take on the alien theme would have to be Event Horizon, I genuinely enjoyed Pandorum yes, but Event Horizon like the original Alien is a very visceral film, you are genuinely going omg and even on rewatching the movie(s) the raw power is still there. I also like how the madness slowly unfolds and envelops everyone in Event Horizon, they don't just die, they get to go insane first (lucky them).
    You only say that because Sam Neil's in it.
    Racist.
    Respect my lack of authority.

7. Movies & TV   -   #167
    girl with the dragon tatoo , i loved the movie any similar one ?

8. Movies & TV   -   #168
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman0032000 View Post
    Yeah

Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

9. Movies & TV   -   #169
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by shaman0032000 View Post
    I honestly don't know why I am doing this seeing as you are probably just spamming the board to gain entry to the invite/trade section and will likely never set foot in this part of the site again.

The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

You're welcome and if you honestly want to thank me prove the statement above to be wrong.
    Respect my lack of authority.

10. Movies & TV   -   #170
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    You only say that because Sam Neil's in it.
    Racist.
    He's not our only successful export you know, since Temuera Morrison persistently kept cropping up in Star Wars and while there are no available Latino stars so they keep on casting Cliff Curtis instead.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73