Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: sct pffft..

captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    i realise the first three letters of the topic are a a bit offensive here but it amazes me the fuss in the torrent community over that sites demise.

having been one in the past, now i cant see why i ever bothered, all the seeding back, uploading, ratio issues, donating, banning .... the list could go on and on.

why dont they all just get into NG???

im trying to think of one, but i just cant..
    ///dont.let.the.bastards.get.you.down\\\

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    obey the duck
    1. BT is free. If I had at least 1MB upload and an ISP who doesn't screw me on speed, I'd still be using torrents.

2. Last week I've downloaded a torrent that was uploaded in 2004. I know stuff gets re-uploaded from time to time on usenet, but not everything.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    Quote Originally Posted by asari View Post
    1. BT is free. If I had at least 1MB upload and an ISP who doesn't screw me on speed, I'd still be using torrents.

2. Last week I've downloaded a torrent that was uploaded in 2004. I know stuff gets re-uploaded from time to time on usenet, but not everything.
    1.nothing is free
    2.i would love to know how many trackers have torrents that old, not many, very, very few in fact.

some valid reasons would be nice, im not saying there are not small individual things that popup from time to time, for individual people, but more general.
    ///dont.let.the.bastards.get.you.down\\\

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by captive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by asari View Post

1.nothing is free
    2.i would love to know how many trackers have torrents that old, not many, very, very few in fact.

some valid reasons would be nice, im not saying there are not small individual things that popup from time to time, for individual people, but more general.
    It's free in the sense that you don't have to pay for a subscription to use it. Granted, I'm liking this free just4today.net thing, but 10 days retention isn't super practical. I understand that to maintain a good ratio you may have to donate, or purchase a seedbox, but you can still get by fine without those things on a variety of sites.

I could never completely abandon bt because I can find old, random movies from 1980 and earlier in a snap in say, TL's Retro section for instance. The issue of retention is really the only drawback of usenet for me. For 0day, it's perfect, for classics, more hit 'n miss and luck.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Your epenis is bigger?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    You have to keep in mind that most of these private torrenters are just kids, with nothing else to do with their time. No matter how many times you tell them about something better, they will not listen and will just stick to torrents. Think about how hard learning usenet can be for the beginner though, torrents are much easier.

I may seem biased, but I used to be "TorrentGuy", i've been on both sides. IMO the main reason is that they are not willing to pay an actual subscription, thinking it will probably rip them off.

One thing that really gets to me about private trackers though is how everyone on them seems to think they are safe because it is "private". Erm, no! If they can get onto it, so can anyone else.
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 12-01-2009 at 08:14 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    oddcat's Avatar Poster
    I got sick of torrents around about the 2500th time some 13 year old virgin called me a noob. Though in fairness I did find out a lot about usenet through contact with other demonoid (r.i.p. I hope not) users.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I use both usenet and torrents. I kind of float back and forth.

The reasons I still use torrents are a) there is a more active community on torrent sites so it gives me something to do online and b) I like to share with said community and my fiber speeds make this effective and fun.

On the other hand, I feel safer using nzbs and I think it is probably better to just turn on my pc, download a film and stop wasting time.
    Last edited by TrollinThunder; 12-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by captive View Post
    why dont they all just get into NG???
    In my case it's the subscription fee - surely nothing is free, but I'm pirating because I can't afford the content, so why add the extra cost of paying the news provider?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    dette's Avatar The Young Tech Geek
    I used to use Torrents for YEARS ... I am only 17 so "YEARS" may not mean the same to others but since I first built my first computer with a friend when I was 12, shortly after I found Torrents and used them up until a about a month ago, then I purchased Usenet and am indeed loving it. I feel much safer because I had received 2 different emails from my ISP about a year apart and my dad did NOT like that so I decided I needed something safer and thus I got something safer and faster! Just to feed my anxiety I use SSL to download .

I use Torrents still to find small programs sometimes or to find music that I cant get on Usenet. Most movies and games I can find on Usenet pretty easily

Just my story

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast