Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Reasons Not To Be Afraid Of The Riaa

Originally posted by 4play@27 July 2003 - 21:15
    i dont think classical music is copyrighted.

i know in europe the copyright only lasts 50 years so
    It's not the publishing/writing credit rights that are at issue here; it's the rights to the recording. It makes no difference whatsoever when the music was written. Otherwise, why would anyone buy it? If it was recorded more than 50/70/whatever years ago, all well and good.

Cheers,
    Rat.

2. File Sharing   -   #72
    Originally posted by mj5444@29 July 2003 - 19:19
    oh yea and read this forgot about it

Do you download MP3’s? If so the R.I.A.A. may have a nasty surprise up it’s sleeve for you. They have hired several software companies to come up with ways to effect swappers computers. Tactics could include attacks that slow or even halt a computers internet connection, and drastically increasing the flood of fake files on P2P networks. Also in the works maybe MP3’s that when played open a users internet browser and send them to a web page selling digital media, or a page that informs them of the laws they are breaking. The most alarming of the new assaults on P2P is the “lock up” plan. This would somehow embed code into digital media that would lock up a users P.C. for a period of time. This could be a few minutes, a few days or even weeks. Restarting the machine could cause loss of data. The R.I.A.A. could really cause damage to an already tarnished image, if they go ahead with this plan. Biting the hand that feeds you has long been considered a risky business move at best. Many of these plans on the drawing board would require changes in the law that allow organizations like the R.I.A.A. and M.P.A.A. to attack file swappers computers without risk of breaking the law. Many feel that the next move in this online copyright cyber war will be these firms going after users. Since last month a California judge ruled that file-sharing services Grokster and Morpheus were not guilty of copyright infringement
    quite scary about the fakes on kazaa but how would they attach these programs to songs? i think there just bluffing i got it from http://www.kazaalinkz.com/modules.php?name...=article&sid=37
    As far as I'm aware, they couldn't possibly 'effect' (sic) my computer with mp3s. Possibly they could fool some people with double file extensions, but it's a bit of a stretch.

Cheers,
    Rat.

3. File Sharing   -   #73
    Originally posted by VDDZ@4 July 2003 - 00:49
    1 million? Are you sure? At an average size of 5 mb per file that would be 5 million mb of music or 5,000 Gigs. I don't mean to come off as a dick, but DAMN! he'd have al hell of a lot of shit.
    5,000 gigs is 5 TERAbytes. Now, I wonder how that student managed to have money to get kind of harddisk. Come on, that's 5, 1 is already bad enough! (usually only large companies would have the *need* to use that much space).

Don't come telling me he's got multiple Harddisks, cos now 'normal' HDDs are mostly around 200gb only, that means he would have ... too many HDDs!

As for CDs/DVDs, well, don't even think of it.

~as for my own 2 cents, the 'music' industry (or as what they claim to be) better start producing nicer stuff to hear (and to buy) if they want anything from this. imho when some ppl become too much of a star, they see stars and they start losing stardom (and still think they're on top of the billboards...)

4. File Sharing   -   #74
    5,000 gigs is 5 TERAbytes. Now, I wonder how that student managed to have money to get kind of harddisk. Come on, that's 5, 1 is already bad enough! (usually only large companies would have the *need* to use that much space).

Don't come telling me he's got multiple Harddisks, cos now 'normal' HDDs are mostly around 200gb only, that means he would have ... too many HDDs!

As for CDs/DVDs, well, don't even think of it.

~as for my own 2 cents, the 'music' industry (or as what they claim to be) better start producing nicer stuff to hear (and to buy) if they want anything from this. imho when some ppl become too much of a star, they see stars and they start losing stardom (and still think they're on top of the billboards...)
    He'd have to have a mainframe in his little teeny tiny dorm... dont you think that might have caused a bit of suspicision??

5. File Sharing   -   #75
    RIAA ...

6. File Sharing   -   #76
    Originally posted by dryice@29 July 2003 - 17:55
    Is SBC/AOL giving out their user's IPs yet

Also, i have a question about peer guardian, how come every second i keep on getting attacked by frikin' adelphia ( arent they some cable company?)
    I just heard that SBC Communications Inc. said Thursday it had filed suit to stop a flood of recording-industry court orders that seek to track down Internet users who might be illegally copying music.

Check out this link:
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/31/technology...subpoenas.reut/

7. File Sharing   -   #77
    the MPAA announced today it will also try to target movie files that are being shared...the busted someone sharing the Hulk...? and now are moving into P2P..although they seemed to say that they weren't gonna be as tough or as sue happy as the RIAA....they are gonna start some new ad campaign to fight it as well...

8. File Sharing   -   #78
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I wish them good luck their gonna need it

9. File Sharing   -   #79
    1 million

10. File Sharing   -   #80
    The RIAA is a private org as opposed to a Gov org. They can only sue. The courts are full and backlogged. In prison we took advantage of that fact. RIAA will only take afew cases to trail ever.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast