Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If you were to believe all the scaremongers you would find about 5 million people sitting on top of the Cairngorm mountains swigging Whisky.
    Now there is an idea.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    If you were to believe all the scaremongers you would find about 5 million people sitting on top of the Cairngorm mountains swigging Whisky.
    Now there is an idea.
    Been there, done that, had the burgers too (Bambi's mum).
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    barakokula's Avatar hard to thrill BT Rep: +1
    Just watched Braveheart the other day. If it weren't for that movie,i doubt scots would be thinking about independence so soon.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by barakokula View Post
    Just watched Braveheart the other day. If it weren't for that movie,i doubt scots would be thinking about independence so soon.
    I take it you history lessons have not included the history of Scotland. An Australian actor with the worst Scottish accent on screen made no difference to the people who have been fighting for independence for Scotland.
    We had been fighting for 280 odd years before it was made.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...ActofUnion.htm

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    barakokula's Avatar hard to thrill BT Rep: +1
    twas a joke,no harm done i hope. I know for your long fight for independence,at least from what I've read on the internet. But you can't deny the movie gave a little reminder to the people,forgive but never forget,that kind of stuff. At least i understood it that way,as my country was in similar situation,figting for its independence for a long time.
    Cheers
    Last edited by barakokula; 11-05-2007 at 10:31 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by barakokula View Post
    twas a joke,no harm done i hope. I know for your long fight for independence,at least from what I've read on the internet. But you can't deny the movie gave a little reminder to the people,forgive but never forget,that kind of stuff. At least i understood it that way,as my country was in similar situation,figting for its independence for a long time.
    Cheers
    Any movie with Sophie Marceau is worth watching
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

She would make a good First Lady of an Independent Scotland.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

She would make a good First Lady of an Independent Scotland.
    Oh yes indeedy

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I have no doubt that an Independant Scotland could survive, (and im one of those in the North of England that would much rather throw their lot in with Edinburgh than with London) however both Scotland and the rest of the Union (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) would be the poorer for it.

The SNP economics dont add up.. but there's also a spin from London that makes the Government claims of how much Scotland benefits from the Union equally false.

An example is the claim by the SNP that they can scrap Council Tax and add 2p to Income Tax, when the figure to raise the same amount would be closer to 8p on Income Tax (See the Lyons Review on Local Government Finance). In addition no Government would ignore taxing an asset that has Growth Rates of 16%, so you'd probably end up with a property tax too within a decade.

However, the spin from London uses "Costs" more appropriate to London and then applies them to Scotland, rather than the "real" costs involved. This makes it look like England is carrying Scotland, which is far from the truth. Income/expenditure per head of population is probably quite close.

I know that Scotland gets more in the way that Government Grants to Local Authorities are calculated, however when you take in the other spending by Government it is, as has been pointed out, primarily in London and the South East. This increasing Investment in the South helps those in the South, any benefit attributed to the rest of the UK is hard to prove.

Why is getting a train to Paris 1/2 an hour quicker of benefit to anyone outsid of the South East? We'd all fly anyway, or get a ferry. Most of us wouldnt even think of going via London or Kent to get into Europe. Same with Crossrail and the Olympics etc.

I very much hope Scotland do not go for independance as they would leave in their wake a permanent and increasingly Right Wing Government in Europe.

Im sure the US Republicans would be glad of the direction "England" would be taking, I dont think anyone else would... I'm sure Wales would almost immediately after go Independent, not because most of them particularly want it at the moment, but because they couldnt live within the new regime.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Paul...it's really, really good to see you back here and posting..I am sure I can say, we have missed you! ...now I bettter read what you written..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast