Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Why the....

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Skies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post

read "Bandwagon, Snob, and Veblen Effects in the Theory of Consumers' Demand"
    H. Leibenstein

published in 1950.

i have a phd in economics and political science but i'm lazy and i'm here to talk about bittorrent.
    Then it's pretty strange mixing up the Veblen and the Snob effect. Try reading something published after year 2000. business analysis and consumer habits have actually evolved since the 50's.

These theory's have been further analyzed and been built on. One of these things is further splitting up the snob and veblen effect to not be the exact same thing.

The Veblen effect is the show off effect, while the Snob effect is wanting to be different.

2. BitTorrent   -   #102
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Yeah I agree. While the concept of business economics and consumer habits might be appealing to some, I have the feeling most people lose interest.

So why is it then?
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 11-29-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

3. BitTorrent   -   #103
    Trickology's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    People want what they cant have, That human nature

4. BitTorrent   -   #104
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Much of it is determined by what the seeker wants from the acquirement. A genuine member will want the rare trackers to sample their wares, with the bare minimum of being able to say that they have had the membership. This is like the person who visits a different location for each holiday/lvacation, so that they can say they have sampled cultures from around the world.

The second type of acquirement are those who want a tracker to add to their collection. Their only goal is to be able to fulfil a desire to be able to say that they have had every rare, and not so rare, tracker, just for the sake of bragging. They are probably not even aware of the real contents of each of their trackers. For them, it is the ownership, and not the participation, that counts.

This is very much like the car trader who has a forecourt of cars, yet none of them are his for personal use. His sole interest is the trade value each will fetch. On the other hand, there will be those who frequent a car trader to sample the different wares, simply so that they can say that they have owned many different variants and makes.

Why is it that some people will stick with the same car manufacturer, regardless, yet others will test drive numerous different models from different manufacturers, irrespective of what make and model they are currently driving?

Torrent communities are no different to cars. Today, XYZ may be your favourite community, but tomorrow ABC may be your favourite. For some, though, they will remain loyal to XYZ regardless of what competition is out there.

You cannot quantify why people do this or that. I have known people who move on because of one simple disagreement with a staff member, even though it can easily be resolved, yet another member will stay through thick or thin, even while sporting a warning triangle.

How do we quantify every member?

5. BitTorrent   -   #105
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    honestly I think it is better with the traditional style of no one knows about any of the sites unless they get invited.

i don't think I've ever once known the name of a top site before that I wasn't invited on. It is pointless to know what you lack because it just means you want it.

The best things in life come unexpectedly imho especially when it comes to warez.

6. BitTorrent   -   #106
    Papps78's Avatar .. BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    TL is a great example, what's in ScT that isn't in TL? ..

Everything is everywhere.

7. BitTorrent   -   #107
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Papps78 View Post
    TL is a great example, what's in ScT that isn't in TL? ..

Everything is everywhere.
    I'm not sure what sct has that tl doesn't have, but i know a few things tl has that sct doesnlt. pay2leech subsciription fees and has you pay $36 to register.

edit: yeah i had to go there
    *high five* to DanielleD87 for scl they have some awesome packs.
    Last edited by chillincool; 11-29-2007 at 07:13 AM.
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

8. BitTorrent   -   #108
    Poster BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    you can pay for upload credits are SCT aswell, donations are voluntary and for those you receive free gifts, also the vip registrations have been dsiabled
    pictures of you!! pictures of me!!

9. BitTorrent   -   #109
    chillincool's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I consider a difference between buying upload and buying a three month period where you can hit&run every single torrent you download and only upload enough so that other clients will connect with you.
    "They were cheap masks locked on festering thoughts--voices gabbling to drown out the loud silence in every breast."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011