Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kids refusing to stand for the pledge of allegiance.

惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by 999969999 View Post
    I didn't want to be accused of only presenting the "talking points" of conservative talk radio, like Clocky and Lucifer usually do (I wouldn't want to be like the liberals and shut down any dissenting points of view), so I made sure that liberal sources such as NPR and MediaMatters were also presented. And I wanted to see what your response would be, which so far is very telling, indeed.
    You are supposedly going off to college soon (all expenses paid by someone else because you think being a self made man would insult your family). While you admit that you haven't earned a place through academic achievement I have to assume your IQ is higher than that of a yogurt because the school hasn't rejected you.

Present your own opinion and why you come to it instead of verbatim opinions from others. Substituting right with left just shows a lack of critical thinking ability.
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 03-26-2011 at 07:12 PM.
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    Present your own opinion and why you come to it instead of verbatim opinions from others. Substituting right with left just shows a lack of critical thinking ability.
    Critical thinking isn't required to enter college. Supposedly they'll teach you that when you get there, but not if you're pre-med.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Just for the sake of argument, let's just assume that Hill's letter is a total fabrication and merely another anti-immigration tactic.
    Do you see any problem with Arizona politicians reading this letter into the official state record without vetting it at all?
    So, you're afraid to answer my question?

I understand.

If I was a liberal, I would be afraid of it, too.
    Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    惡魔的提倡者

Just for the sake of argument, let's just assume that Hill's letter is an accurate portrayal of the classroom in which he was a substitute teacher. Do you see any problems with the students' behavior? Why or why not?
    Do you consider this alleged teacher a good or bad teacher?

If he was a permanent teacher and not a substitute would you be for lowering his pay or even firing him due to poor student performance?
    When I was a kid I was told "We do these things not because they're easy, but because they're hard"

Now all I hear is " I won't do anything unless there's something in it for me"

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready

I understand.

If I was a liberal, I would be afraid of it, too.
    You're confusing fear with refusal.
    Perhaps that'll get covered in one of your college courses.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    This wasn't directed at me, but I just wanted to interject and remind you that you haven't shown any evidence that you're capable of producing thought. Therefore, there's no incentive in answering "your" questions. As the response would be manufactured drivel and an obvious display of your ability to not comprehend the reply. I would weight more torwards the lack of comprehension that makes it a waste of time...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17

Just for the sake of argument, let's just assume that Hill's letter is an accurate portrayal of the classroom in which he was a substitute teacher. Do you see any problems with the students' behavior? Why or why not?
    Do you consider this alleged teacher a good or bad teacher?

To be honest, it sounds like he didn't have control over his classroom, so I would have to say that he is probably a bad teacher.

If he was a permanent teacher and not a substitute would you be for lowering his pay or even firing him due to poor student performance?

Based upon student performance in this case, he was unable to get them to do the assignment, he probably should be fired. Part of a teacher's responsibility is to have a good rapport with students so he can motivate them to actually do their assignments. He obviously lacked that. He should probably find another field of employment because he not good at his job.

But that still does not excuse what the students did.

So now that I have answered your question, answer mine.

Who can take your money and give it to someone else? The Government Can! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO2eh...layer_embedded

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    I didn't want to be accused of only presenting the "talking points" of conservative talk radio, like Clocky and Lucifer usually do (I wouldn't want to be like the liberals and shut down any dissenting points of view), so I made sure that liberal sources such as NPR and MediaMatters were also presented. And I wanted to see what your response would be, which so far is very telling, indeed.
    You are supposedly going off to college soon (all expenses paid by someone else because you think being a self made man would insult your family).

http://financialaid.uoregon.edu/1011_cost_of_attendance

"Resident Tuition and Fees Based on enrollment of 15 credits per term (45 credits per year) $8,190
    Nonresident / International Tuition and Fees Based on enrollment of 15 credits per term (45 credits per year) $25,830
    Does not reflect Programmatic Fees or the $300 Matriculation Fee for incoming students

On-Campus Housing Standard Double Occupancy Room, with Standard Meal Plan $9,144
    Off-Campus Housing Monthly: Rent $496, Food $380, Utilities $140 $9,144

Books and Supplies Cost varies depending on requirements for enrolled courses $1,050

Personal Expenses Cost varies depending on personal spending habits $2,412
    "Personal Expenses" represents typical expenses that a student may incur in the course of day to day living: local transportation, clothing, personal items, laundry, going to a movie, or buying a pizza. It is provided for personal planning purposes only and does not represent a direct cost of attending the University.

Total Cost of Attendance (Resident) $20,796
    Total Cost of Attendance (Nonresident) $38,436 "

So, let me see if I understand you. If someone offered you about $38,000 per year you would turn it down and walk away from it?

Even if I worked full-time at an entry level job, there is no way I could afford to attend the University of Oregon from my wages alone. And when would I find the time to attend my classes and study? Accounting is not rocket science, I'll admit that, but it will still probably require some study time. My family makes too much money to qualify for government sources of financial aid (Pell Grants, etc.). The only other option would be to take out student loans to pay it. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Accounting at U of O

http://admissions.uoregon.edu/majors/accounting
    Last edited by 999969999; 03-28-2011 at 04:12 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    To be honest, it sounds like he didn't have control over his classroom, so I would have to say that he is probably a bad teacher.
    Based upon student performance in this case, he was unable to get them to do the assignment, he probably should be fired. Part of a teacher's responsibility is to have a good rapport with students so he can motivate them to actually do their assignments. He obviously lacked that. He should probably find another field of employment because he not good at his job.

Firstly, it was a substitute teacher, did you even read the articles? I really don't want to go back and double check, so there's a slight chance that my memory has caused me to make a false statement. Secondly, your commentary indicates you have no frame of reference what it's like to work in a public school system. Ever since No Child Left Behind, the schools have been increasingly transformed into test prep facilities. This has caused real education to fall dramatically, so while the general trend of education (quality level over history) tends to increase, the U.S. is experiencing an acute decline due to poor education policies.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post

Firstly, it was a substitute teacher, did you even read the articles? I really don't want to go back and double check, so there's a slight chance that my memory has caused me to make a false statement. Secondly, your commentary indicates you have no frame of reference what it's like to work in a public school system. Ever since No Child Left Behind, the schools have been increasingly transformed into test prep facilities. This has caused real education to fall dramatically, so while the general trend of education (quality level over history) tends to increase, the U.S. is experiencing an acute decline due to poor education policies.
    Whether he's a sub or a full time teacher is irrelevant. He is getting paid to do a job, the full time teacher is relying on him to get the job done, and he failed miserably at it. He sucks at his job and should not be a teacher. That still does not excuse what the students did.

Dude, I just recently graduated from high school, so no, of course I do not have any experience teaching in public schools [shudder]. I would never want to work for any government entity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast